Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry PlayBook

Re: Stage3d not displaying in os2.0! Flash11, air3, but nothing?

jdolce wrote:

It's strange that this information appears on official blackberry sdk download page...

I tried to export stage 3d example on final PlayBook OS 2.0 and all I see is black screen, so it's for sure mistake on page. 

According to Adobe white paper it will be supported on iOS and Android:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

The bullet point on the download page about Stage3D is there by mistake and we are currently working on removing it.

As you can see from the whitepaper, Adobe does not provide support for AIR 3.2 on PlayBooks. Until Adobe delivers an AIR 3.2 runtime which supports PlayBook, captive runtime cannot be used for Stage3D and it will also not be available to developers on the runtime which comes with the device.

This is getting confusing.  Over on the prerelease, they're saying that RIM is handling AIR for PlayBook and here it's vice versa?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

TongueDar wrote:
This is getting confusing.  Over on the prerelease, they're saying that RIM is handling AIR for PlayBook and here it's vice versa?

Adobe is responsible for providing Captive Runtime support, RIM is responsible for porting 3.2 to Playbook.

Obviously, adobe will not port 3.2 to Playbook for RIM, and obviously RIM is not going to bother porting 3.2 themselves (from what I'm gathering), so there you go.

It is what it is.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook

jdolce wrote:

It's strange that this information appears on official blackberry sdk download page...

I tried to export stage 3d example on final PlayBook OS 2.0 and all I see is black screen, so it's for sure mistake on page. 

According to Adobe white paper it will be supported on iOS and Android:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

The bullet point on the download page about Stage3D is there by mistake and we are currently working on removing it.

As you can see from the whitepaper, Adobe does not provide support for AIR 3.2 on PlayBooks. Until Adobe delivers an AIR 3.2 runtime which supports PlayBook, captive runtime cannot be used for Stage3D and it will also not be available to developers on the runtime which comes with the device.

I asked Adobe people, and the answer was that RIM is "licensing" AIR on the PlayBook, so it's up to them (RIM) to upgrade AIR new version.

I don't know if there is a misunderstanding here, but something's not clear.

, could you please confirm that AIR 3.2 will *not* be upgraded on the PlayBook.

And if so, is it "not scheduled for now" or is it "never, we stick with current version of AIR and no more" (<= this is the bad answer :smileyhappy: ) ?

On the other hand, now that Android apps can be "converted" to AppWorld app. for PlayBook, would it be possible this way to use AIR 3.2 Andoird apps on PlayBook ?

JC
Developer

Acenet wrote:

On the other hand, now that Android apps can be "converted" to AppWorld app. for PlayBook, would it be possible this way to use AIR 3.2 Andoird apps on PlayBook ?

Very interesting point Acenet... Playbook doesn't support Stage3D, but it supports Android. Android supports Stage3D, therefore Playbook supports Stage3D already?? 

Maybe I can just drop my Playbook build completely, and just submit my Android versions to AppWorld instead... ?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Wont work because the android plyer will try to install AIR into the player.
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

[ Edited ]

I think it could work if android player supports 3D GPU acceleration, because AIR for Android since v 3.0 supports Captive Runtime, so AIR runtime is embedded  within application.

Developer

I guess AIR for Android uses Android NDK, so you wouldn't be able to use it under Playbook (as android apps with android NDK are not supported... )
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

[ Edited ]

It is already available for ios and android.

I've tested this demo:

http://philippe.elsass.me/lab/BunnyMark/

on my iPod touch and I have 60fps with 1500 moving objects.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

Chime in here to get AIR 3.2 on PlayBook:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Stage3D/td-p/1590679

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor
My Device: playbook

jdolce wrote:

So if there is a great developer demand for this and there are lots of Stage3D applications on other mobile platforms, then there is a better chance you will see the upgrade happen.

So sad RIM thinks that way, wait first to see what other platforms do before take action :smileysad:

I don't think any game developer using flash platform is going to continue using normal stage tools having Stage3D in their hands...