Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Suggestion

[ Edited ]

Here's an idea for RIM:

why not use up & down swipes on the left and/or right bezel to quickly scroll through a document?

Cheers,       - Jon -

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)
My Carrier: Regional

Re: Suggestion

webbsites,

Those swipes are already assigned from what we know:

Swipe Up from bottom bezel will minimize the active application.

Left/Right swipe from bezel will switch active applications.

Within the document you will be able to swipe, so if you're in the document and you swipe from bottom to top within the document (not using bezels) it will scroll the document. I would assume the same functionality would work for left/right swipes within the document.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
New Developer
JLX
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

He doesn't mean swipe up from the bottom, he said Swipe up/down on the SIDE  (or left/right on the bottom) which to the best of my knowledge hasn't been assigned to anything yet.

It's an interesting suggestion.  But, there is the issue of conflicting with standard gestures.  While a vertical swipe along the side bezel could be used for scrolling or zooming, we already have certain conventions for that (dragging to pan and pinching to zoom).  Adding an additional non-conventional Playbook specific gesture may be more confusing than helpful and work against the wondeful simplicity of the current UI design.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Also don't forget the swiping up from the bottom left brings up the keyboard, and swiping down from either side shows the notifications/time bar (although i believe with both of these the swipe has to finish on screen). Either way, it may be too difficult to determine exactly where the swipe is starting and stopping to use swipes within the bezel.

Unless I'm mistaken though, TAT is working on the bezel gestures and it has been hinted that RIM might have some showstopper features still coming. However this could all just be speculation.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PBDev
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

The bezel gestures are mostly for system navigation. Minimizing apps, switching between minimize apps, and bring up the system keyboard / status bar. The only exception to this is the down swipe from the top bezel. Recommend for application menus but can be used for anything you want.

In my opinion I don't see why you want to do that since it's easy to scroll on the screen on top of your app.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

last i heard, RIM was working with TAT on improving the bezel gestures - so id imaging they might be adding more functionality to it even now. cant wait to see what they made.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The touch-sensitive area in the bezel is likely too small to be very usable for this, unfortunately. It's only 27 pixels or less (doesn't appear to be an exact cutoff point) which is 0.16" or only 4mm.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
XoomMan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: verizon

peter9477 wrote:
The touch-sensitive area in the bezel is likely too small to be very usable for this, unfortunately. It's only 27 pixels or less (doesn't appear to be an exact cutoff point) which is 0.16" or only 4mm.

Are you sure Peter? I can scroll on the side bezel in about a quarter of an inch. It's not in the center of the bezel but close. If there isn't an exact cutoff point maybe it's not the same on different PlayBooks.

How are you getting the number of pixels in the bezel?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I'm not just looking at my finger.  I wrote a test app to monitor the reported pixel coordinates for touch events, and slowly (and quickly, a hundred or so times) swiped my finger out of the screen towards the edge of the device, and noted where it last reported a MOVE event (and generated an UP/TAP pair to finish things off).

On each of the four bezel areas, regardless of orientation of the device, I can get approximately 27 pixels beyond the row of pixels along the edge of the screen.  Usually it's more like 26 or 25, as it's very hard to actually get to the "final" coordinates, which is why I said it's approximate.

Given pixel spacing of 0.15mm, that gives 4.05mm or 0.159" of touch-sensitive space.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
XoomMan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: verizon

I'm slowly scrolled up and down on the bezel moving my finger out slowly until it stops scrolling. I'm just eyeballing it but it's more that a quarter of an inch. I'll write something up and see how many pixels it is.

Please use plain text.