Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Superbowl PlayBook Ad

But it is a much better than the Honeycomb way.  Honeycomb debutted at d:dive with basically a email fragment demo and oh we can flip this thing on portrait mode.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jffurlan wrote:

(As for the module cavity, it has been confirmed that it is not something that is user accessible. It's a orifice deep inside the PlayBook for hardware enhancements at the factories where devices are built)

I realize that, and took it into account in what I wrote about it.  (That's why I didn't mention it going into the first unit, as hundreds of thousands of them have already been built.)

Glad to see the Xoom is imminent... that means, in my view, RIM's been very wise to wait, as this way they will probably adjust their plans based on the initial reception to the Xoom (not to mention running out to buy a couple themselves, to take apart and study).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

janetsa wrote:

But it is a much better than the Honeycomb way.  Honeycomb debutted at d:dive with basically a email fragment demo and oh we can flip this thing on portrait mode.

Yes, but how many average consumer were aware of that? And how many actually know what "Honeycomb" is. Sorry, one more - they never even announced a name of the device back then, it was just a motorola tablet.

And again Peter, that is a good point about RIM taking their time to see what the competition has and how they can counteract it. But as this is a new product category, I would be very surprised to see consumers own more than one device of this category, meaning if they want a tablet now, they're either buying a Xoom or waiting to see what the iPad 2 will be like, and buying that. It's been proven with the foleo that companion devices aren't always the way to go, and people want tablets to replace netbooks and laptops. I really do hope that RIM is just resting on their laurels to blow us out of the water after the dust has settled from the 10 inch tablets, but that hasn't been like them in the past (has anyone used a Torch?)

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

And how many average consumer is RIM targetting with the Playbook --- not many.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

@jtegen: I agree...  I haven't been to any strategy meetings with BlackBerry so I have no idea what they are thinking.  However, BlackBerry has been around for a while and are still a very relevant company.  Therefore, I will tend to give them all the room they require as it is their product and the success of the device will depend on their strategy and the quality.  I am sure the Playbook will be successful and I had committed to purchasing one of them if my applications didn't get accepted.  I hope that says a lot to them.  It seems like a winning device, I think we all agree on that.  We just need to hold our excitement in check for a little while longer.

I would have loved the device in my hand a few months ago.  Just getting it to market is half the equation...  Releasing a device that isn't ready for public consumption would be bad for business.  Whether they release a rock solid device on time, whenever that is, or late doesn't bother me.  If, however, it doesn't work well when released...  THAT would certainly bother me.

We are all developers here ( I imagine as this is a dev forum ) and I think we can all agree the time to release a product is: "When it is ready"  You can set realistic deadlines, but sometimes you absolutely have to push one back.  It happens...  and none of us know if that is what is happening here as they haven't released an actual date, yet.  It might be the very last day of Q1, it might be earlier or later than that.  The guy in that video might have mistaking slipped up when he said Q2, that is a possibility.

Until it is announced it is just speculation on our part.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

[ Edited ]
My best speculation is that RIM is waiting for iPad 2 to be launched before releasing the PlayBook to public. Just so that all that Apple coverage won't undermine/steal away the lime light from PlayBook.
Developer

I find that hard to believe for one reason: Apple didn't release last years iPad until April (May worldwide). So, following their standard one year cycle, even if they had a keynote a month early (beginning of March) RIM would still have to launch before the iPad 2 to meet their Q1 deadline.

Now, I'd understand if RIM is simply waiting on the announcement. But I think waiting on the launch might be a product killer.
Don't forget the Palm Pre: announced in Jan, released weeks before the iPhone 3G. While being on Sprint somewhat crippled it the timining definitely did not help.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

I just stumbled upon this. Thought it was interesting. Doesn't say much but its still something.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-be-sold-staples-employee-training-march#comments

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer

Hmm, staples would be less than traditional and would be a "venue" the iPad hasn't cornered yet. It would have little competition at first (unless they also get the Xoom), so it would make sense in that aspect. I still find it a little hard to believe they wouldn't have put down "Motorola Xoom Training" and "BlackBerry Playbook Training" because it's not like either company has multiple tablets....

- Hockey DrillBook -