Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
nitrog7
My Device: Not Specified

Swiping Concerns

While developing my application, some concerns came into mind with the swiping...

If you have a list of items and would like to swipe up or down to select, or maybe even left to right... Would the bezel gestures interfere.  For example, if the user is trying to scroll an interface screen up, how easy would it be to mistakenly swipe the bezel as well to minimize the application? Or swiping down, showing a menu? Or Left and right, switching to the task view?

I would like users to swipe in these directions but do not want the app to be annoying to use if it keeps closing.

Thanks,

-Giraldo

Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

Re: Swiping Concerns

It might be an issue, though it would create the need for specific design issues to be taken into consideration before moving too far on your application.  Example: not creating a swipeable area right next to the edge.

Some of that should be testable in the simulator, correct?

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.
New Developer
dkerr
My Device: Playbook

Good concern to bring up.

event.stopPropagation();

event.stopImmediatePropagation();

works for me when preventing events from stomping on one another, such as spark lists, etc.  Not sure if that would work in QNX though.

Don Kerr
Manager, Space City Adobe User Group
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
renaun
My Device: Not Specified

The PlayBook wide swipe events can not be captured in the applications, only exception is the QNXApplication SWIPE_DOWN event to be used for Context Menus and 2nd navigation (guidelines only).

Having used a device I don't think there is too much to be concerned with but you are right it will come up. Its easy to get used to the difference between bevel and apps swipes.

blog: http://renaun.com
twitter: @renaun
Please use plain text.