Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
Hardliner
My Device: Not Specified

Tablet OS Native Support

Does anyone know if we can write apps natively in C++/assembler on the Tablet? It's running QNX under the hood so I would imagine it must be somewhat possible.

Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook

Re: Tablet OS Native Support

There is a native SDK for C/C++ based on the QNX Momentics tools. However it is not currently available to the public, or maybe even internally (I haven't seen anything written in C/C++ that's a GUI app when poking around). I have seen a few public mentions by Dan Dodge that it will be released though.

--------
Taylor Byrnes
New Contributor
Hardliner

Ya I had talked with some QNX people today and there will be an native SDK thankfully.

By the sounds of it, it looks like it's going to power future BlackBerry smart phones too! Time to unleash the beast!

New Developer
josemoraes
My Device: PB simulator

I would not understand why rely on QNX as Tablet OS and do not offer a native support for the underline QNX. I even think that the priority given for Adobe Air is based on the "easiness" of development and the huge number of developers that already work with Flash Technology.

I am a QNX realtime developer and cannot wait the QNX SDK being released. After all, pardon me if I am talking something stupid, but if the only (or the few) difference of PlayBook from the iPad (for example) is the Flash suport, it will a great mistake: QNX rocks! The combination of QNX native power and Air as UI layer is a awesome idea.

(BW, I am still trying to hack away a communication between Momentics and PlayBook Virtual Machine. As you said, lets "unleash the beast!").

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

according to the webcast from last week native sdks and java sdks will be available soemtime in the near future... only reason why the adobe air sdk is the only one available is because thats the only one of the sdks that has come far enough to be used. the others are still being worked on.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Regular Contributor
janetsa

Freescale's website has a QNX powerpoint presentation (dated August 2010) that will give you some idea of how native C/C++ apps interact with QNX's Flash HMI front-end.

http://www.freescale.com.cn/cstory/ftf/2010/pdf/0602.pdf

This is the doc for Persistent Publish/Subscribe (PPS) Service for QNX 6.5.0 (Playbook is using yet to be released QNX 6.6.0).

qnx.co.il/download/download/20980/pps_book.pdf