Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Tablet OS Packager + Flash CS 5.5

[ Edited ]

so it looks like AIR 2.6 and BlackBerry Tablet OS packager for Flash Professional CS5 will be included in the upcoming Creative Suite 5.5 mid-cycle upgrade.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/adobe-plans-give-creative-suite-5-mid-cycle-mobile-juice/46420

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-plans-cs5-5-mid-cycle-release-mulls-subscriptions.html

if you program in Flash Professional CS5, i hope you still have that $200 you saved from RIM'sr registration fee waiver 'cause you'll soon have to toss it Adobe's way for the new upgrade.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Tablet OS Packager + Flash CS 5.5

Where are you getting that $200 from?

Either way, there's no way I'd pay anything just for a nicer packager. Command line will work fine for me :smileywink:

I don't really understand the articles. It makes it seem like CS 5.5 will bring new capabilites of of publishing to Android and iPhone, when CS 5 has had those abilities for months.

Interesting news nonetheless.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978

[ Edited ]

those features are available in Flash Professional CS5 but only for AIR 2.5.  AIR 2.6 brings vast improvements, in both performance and APIs, for mobile publishing, especially for iOS:  Adobe AIR 2.6 Developer Release Notes

when Adobe released the version 3.3 mid-cycle release for CS3, the upgrade cost the same as it would to upgrade to the then new Acrobat Pro 9, which was around $150 - $200.  i'm pretty sure something similar occurred with the mid-cycle release for CS2 as well.  now that Acrobat X has been released, i'm expecting them to do the same thing:  point updates and a few new features across the suite + the new version of Acrobat for an upgrade fee.

i'm hoping this point update will be free for CS5 owners, but knowing Adobe's history it's unlikely.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Ah  I see.

I agree that it would be nice if it was free but unlikely.

I don't suppose there's any type of upgrade protection? I only purchased CS5 a couple of months ago.

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978

since CS6 will be released around a year from now, if not sooner, it's probably best to save the upgrade fee until then.  i've read treads online of people kicking themselves for upgrading to the mid-cycle releases and then only months later having (or choosing) to do it again for the new full-point upgrade, which of course has much more appealing features and is more worthy of the upgrade cost.  this is precisely why i don't believe Adobe should be charging current version owners for a point update.  i guess we'll see if they actually do this time or not.

as for users who have recently bought CS5 like yourself, i am not sure.  we'll have to wait and see what they offer.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978

it seems my previous guess of a $200 upgrade was very optimistic.

Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 was officially announced this morning.  $400 to upgrade from CS5 Design, Web or Production Premium.  $650 to upgrade from CS5 Master Collection:  pre-order site.

unreal.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
New Developer
plungeint
My Carrier: n/a

hi, I have Flash CS 5.5 but still no bb tablet packager right? is there any tutorial of how to package Flash 5.5 swf to the Tablet?

thks

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ZanuZawa
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Indosat

Please use plain text.
New Developer
ZanuZawa
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Indosat