Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
JoshuaCyr
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

The path icon.png is restricted.

I am not able to specify an icon for my hello world app.  I have gone through the steps in the example app and am pretty sure I haven't missed anything.  I made a simple icon.png at 90x90 pixels.  Then used import to import it into the src folder.  All lower case.  In my blackberry-tablet.xml I have <image>icon.png</image> for my icon element.

When I try to run or debug I get. 

The path icon.png is restricted. If you were trying to package Icon.png you should correct the case.
Error: AIR validation failed

If I remove the icon, and change the image content to 'test', the app will run just fine with no icon. (woohoo it works!).  

I have tried running Flash Builder 4.0.1 as administrator, thinking it was permissions issue. 

Do I need to specify a full path in the xml perhaps?

Win7, Flash Builder 4.0.1

Overall the process is pretty easy, once I got my install sorted out with the 64 bit business. ;-)

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: The path icon.png is restricted.

Try setting the icon name in the application descriptor file (myapp-app.xml), in the image72x72 XML tag.  Be certain to uncomment the necessary tags to it will be read.  Also try to make the image 72x72 pixels since there seems to be some questions going around that the application icon should be 72 or 90 pixels square.  Also, you will need to include the icon path in the blackberry command line packager instructions.

That all worked for me.  If you need more detail information, I can post exact instructions later on today.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JoshuaCyr
My Device: Playbook

Ah ha!

I just gave up on the name icon.png, renamed it appico.png and presto!  I suspect icon.png is some sort of default or triggers some default behaivor.  I actually renamed it Icon.png and then got a different set of errors about 57x57 icons in the xml file.  Once I renamed it something completely different and updated my blackberry-tablet.xml to reflect the new name it worked as it should.

This brings me to my next question.  In the sample app documentation there is the blackberry-tablet.xml which specifies the icon to use, among a few other items.  I see the full AIR xml doc created, but it isn't mentioned that we should update it for icons.  At this point I have left it alone.  Should I be specifying the icons there too?  Are those other sizes for other devices or does playbook actually show icons of different size in different situations?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

(accuse me of being **bleep**, but...)

I just use the default name blackberry-tablet-icon.png in the blackberry-tablet.xml file and in my build script so I can copy them between projects easily.  I leave the icon lines in *-app.xml commented out as I'm only interested in the PlayBook (now).

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.