Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Today was a slap in the face for AIR Developers.

MauriceRice wrote:

I mean, how difficult would it be to create some ANEs to get "native" access to the magnetometer and BB-specific stuff like notifications?

Hey MauriceRice, I know it doesn't answer all your questions, but it does look like sensors access is available in the BB10 AIR SDK:  https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/beta/apis/qnx/sensors/package-detail.html

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

jetstreamblue wrote:

Hey MauriceRice, I know it doesn't answer all your questions, but it does look like sensors access is available in the BB10 AIR SDK:  https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/beta/apis/qnx/sensors/package-detail.html

Thanks for this link! I am in utter shock. They always have to be one step behind my particular needs. Does anyone know when we can start using this stuff of shoulkd I continue to develop my own throwaway ANEs?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

At this point in time, we do not have an expected release date for an update to Adobe AIR used in the BlackBerry Tablet OS.  We’re working with Adobe to define a timeline to upgrade to the newer runtime.  Once we know that timeline, we will share it with you.  In the meantime, RIM will continue to support AIR app development for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 using AIR 3.1.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Well it's good to know that some new API's were added at least, makes me feel a little less disgruntled :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:

At this point in time, we do not have an expected release date for an update to Adobe AIR used in the BlackBerry Tablet OS.  We’re working with Adobe to define a timeline to upgrade to the newer runtime.  Once we know that timeline, we will share it with you.  In the meantime, RIM will continue to support AIR app development for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 using AIR 3.1.

Thanks Mark! That's a marked improvement over what we've head before (read: nothing).

So you can at least confirm that 3.2 support _is_ planned? ie, not a matter of IF, but simply WHEN? Last comments we heard from Julen Dolce was that you were taking a "wait and see" attitude.

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

RIM is building the only platform with a decent choice of development language to the developer. It's just logical that they promote WebWorks and Native the most, since they offer wellknown languages and performance. That doesn't necessarily mean AIR is out. And RIM was never good at providing roadmaps.

Besides if you have a picture editor, it might benefit from the extra performace gained by going native. Just saying, be prepared to try new things instead of just being worried that your current skills will be outdated. And taking your apps out of App World would most likely damage you more than RIM.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

zezke wrote:

And RIM was never good at providing roadmaps.

that's no excuse. Staying quiet, not saying anything still feels like a slap in the face, ever since the first posts about 3.2 and Stage3D popped up.

or, to be more on the literal side, it feels like you sit on a chair, waiting for someone to slap you, one who's already swinging his hand. and the longer you wait, the more it will hurt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

I had the same feeling regarding the lack of Adobe Air support progress. It's a wakeup slap indeed: their focus is now NDK and WebWorks. Air feels like it's a lesser priority now since it's relatively stable and does the job well the way it is.

I didn't try the NDK yet but I suppose that's the future. Flash developers in geneal also got a big slap on the face from Adobe a few months ago. Maybe RIM also felt it specially after dedicating so much effort on providing support for Adobe's technology.

Cheers!
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

True, if the future of AIR (besides the whole Stage3D API which is a miracle to solve slow UIs according to some people) is uncertain, then it is a logical business decision to focus less on AIR.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

When we have a firm date on when we could support AIR 3.2 we can provide one.  At this point in time our AIR development team is focused on a flawless AIR 3.1 runtime for BlackBerry 10.

However, that doesn't mean we haven't been working on anything new.  All of the components here https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/air/beta/apis/ have been re-worked to look and feel like the Cascades controls.  This allows your AIR application to provide a similar look and feel to native Cascades applications.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.