Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Today was a slap in the face for AIR Developers.

[ Edited ]

Well, I hope everyone sees what has happened today.

wakeUp.png

We've all been downgraded, and relegated top junk status. To all the loyal AIR developers who stuck with Playbook for the first 12 mths, screw you.

Native Dev's get a new Cascade SDK. Javascript dev's get a new HTML SDK, and bbUI.js.

AIR dev's get.... nada. The same crappy old dusty QNX swc's. Stage3d? Nope. Air 3.2? Nope. To see just where we rank, check out this page: 

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/

5th out of 6th. The only think less important than AIR, is "theme builder".

I'm pretty close to pulling both my Photo Editors from the App Store. PicShop and TouchUp, the two #1 editors on the platform, might not be there for BB10 at all. Hopefully someone can have fun building one in C++ or Javascript.

Thanks RIM. Real classy.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Offthahorse
My Device: Blackberry Playbook, Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Today was a slap in the face for AIR Developers.

actions speak louder than words
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais

[ Edited ]

I can't say I blame RIM for pushing HTML, and Cascades looks really beautiful, but did you have to do it at the expense of leaving us all completely out in the cold?

You have only one **bleep** chipset to support, and it's the same chipset AIR alread supports on other devices. How hard can it really be to get Stage3D working?

Throw us a freaking bone....

If you're dicthing AIR completely, or rather, no longer actively developing it, then you have an obligation to communicate that to the developers here.

It's a matter of respect really. We're people too, and have put faith in your company, the least you can do is be open and honest with us. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Honestly, I don't see what you are complaining about. QNX Air/Flash was the first SDK to include really nice looking ui components, and full access to most of the hardware APIs. 

It wasn't until much later in the year around Dev Con Americas that the WebWorks SDK was updated to include minimal access to hardware. Even then, the UI and hardware access particularly for Playbook was not there.

I just recently started using AIR/AS3 to build a better, more fluid applications. I'm still a n00b and learning, but I've been a BlackBerry supporter since 2006 when I got my first smartphone.My first mobile application was released on BlackBerry. WebWorks is great for content intensive applications, but to achieve a really captivating UX you use Air/AS3, and now with the introduction of Cascades beta, the NDK.

How can you complain about AIR/AS3 SDK for Playbook which has the most robust interface, ui and hardware access availability APIs to date?

:Punk:

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais

greenback wrote:

How can you complain about AIR/AS3 SDK for Playbook which has the most robust interface, ui and hardware access availability APIs to date?

:Punk:

Well as someone who's been here from day 1, I've seen development of AIR abrutbtly stop 6mths ago, yet no one from RIM has had the guts to come out and tell us that this is the case.

It's disrespectful to the developer base as a whole. I was holding out hope, but today has confirmed what wa already obvious.

Another example, the example code for "AIR SDK 3.0"? It's 6 mths old and hasn't been touched since Oct 2011:

https://github.com/blackberry/Samples-for-AIR

Jeez, must be alot of new features built in SDK 3.0 if you didn't have to add a single line of code to your 6mth old examples... 

Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

I have been noticing the trend of AIR becoming less prominent but I don't think it's quite dead yet. Certainly, the aren't ditching it as they've said a bunch of times that AIR will be on BB10, so there will be some level of support. I agree it would be nice to see them add some new featues (stage3D would be really welcome...) but I think pulling your apps is a pretty drastic move. 

As a side note, I don't think there's much meaning in the ordering of the SDK's on the website.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Smugrik
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

On the AIR sdk download page, I can see PowerFlasher FDT is officialy supported for BlackBerry 10. This is very cool, more tools to develop AIR apps for BB 10!!

Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais

RottenOgre wrote:

I agree it would be nice to see them add some new featues (stage3D would be really welcome...) but I think pulling your apps is a pretty drastic move. 

I'm looking for a fundamental level of honesty about what is going on.

I'm not chastising RIM for switching focus to other SDK(s), it's their perogative. But at the very least, they should be open and honest about such a major shift in focus.

Instead, we're left reading tea leaves, and shouting in the wind for Stage3D support... this isn't how you're supposed to treat your developers, your partners, the _people_ that make your ecosystem what it is.

I'm not saying I'm pulling my apps, but I'm very much considering it. Being a Canadian boy, I feel like I want RIM to be successful, and the Playbook User Base is amazing. But, if they aren't going to respect me, and treat me (us) like we're human beings deserving of respect, why should I help them at all. 

All I'm asking for is clarification: What is the roadmap for the AIR SDK? If there isn't one, we deserve to know.

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

shawnblais wrote:

RottenOgre wrote:

I agree it would be nice to see them add some new featues (stage3D would be really welcome...) but I think pulling your apps is a pretty drastic move. 

: What is the roadmap for the AIR SDK? If there isn't one, we deserve to know.

I've been lobying for a roadmap for quite some time, so don't holod your breath that much is forthcoming from the powers that be. In addition to fancy UI stuff there is more basic stuff that is of importance to anyone who, like me, had no choices at launch a year ago. I mean, how difficult would it be to create some ANEs to get "native" access to the magnetometer and BB-specific stuff like notifications? Nobody has access to Blueetooth access but I would hate to have to build all the interfaces for AIR when such things do arrive. Unless RIM gives us thee basic toolset, Air is a dead end for apps like mine.

So at risk of just p1ssing into the wind, I second your request:

What is the roadmap for the AIR SDK? If there isn't one, we deserve to know.

Please use plain text.
Developer
wmatt
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

A roadmap would be great. It seems bizarre to continue supporting AIR without Stage3D. There are some new classes in the BB10 SDK though.

Please use plain text.