Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Try & Buy (part II)

This has been added for consideration.  Everyone should vote for this ticket if you have ever used or wish you could use Try and Buy.

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-137

Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Try & Buy (part II)

I totally agree with your solution, way better than the original implementation of Try&Buy.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Please vote and spread the word.
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Noone else?

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

I can't vote for this. Doesn't help devs, or BlackBerry. Its a bit confusing to consumers too.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

greenback wrote:

I can't vote for this. Doesn't help devs, or BlackBerry. Its a bit confusing to consumers too.

How does it not help devs? It makes it very easy to offer trial versions, which definitely helps sales for quality apps?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

My opinion comes from information from a session by the Nobex devs from DevCon 2012.

They went over the facts about different payment models, how they priced their app, affect of being featured, try-and-buy, etc It was pretty clear from their talk the advantages/disadvantages. Their app is very popular on the BlackBerry platform. They had data to back up their claims.

I respect your opinion, but I would have to disagree with it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

greenback wrote:

My opinion comes from information from a session by the Nobex devs from DevCon 2012.

They went over the facts about different payment models, how they priced their app, affect of being featured, try-and-buy, etc It was pretty clear from their talk the advantages/disadvantages. Their app is very popular on the BlackBerry platform. They had data to back up their claims.

I respect your opinion, but I would have to disagree with it.

I respect your right to disagree, but I question your reasoning:  you're citing just one vendor's experience.

I recently viewed a webinar from a non BlackBerry mobile app platfrom vendor featuring a detailed discussion of monetization paths.  In some markets, try-and-buy is far and away the most lucrative for developers, and the most preferred by consumers.  Different cultures around the world have different habits and viewpoints regarding digital commerce.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

Try and buy is more helpful to developers with apps a higher price points. If you have a $0.99 app, it is pretty painless to purchase to then find out it is not worth it. It is a different story when your app is above $3 where most users almost demand a way to test it before purchase.

If Try&Buy was painless to provide and easier to use for the consumer, then you can easily expect a 10% lift. Since try and buy has been removed, my app is seen about a 10-15% decrease in overall sales.
Please use plain text.