Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Try version app of paid version

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I saw some applications on App World have both "Purchase" and "Try" version.

How can we do a "try" version of the purchase one ?

Does both different bar files having the same application name ?

Are they just 2 projects with the same name and need to submit both with different paid option ?

Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Try version app of paid version

hey,

i had similar questions regarding this. what i took from it was, you create two versions of your application. one that is the way its supposed to be with no tricks. the other version, you have to implement a timer of some sort to know when the user is done with their trial. that or lock down features.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

I believe there's an option when you submit the app to select "Try and Buy" or something like that when it asks for your purchase options (i.e., Paid, Free, Try and Buy etc).

Personally I plan on staying away from that and just submitting two apps. One paid and one free with 'Lite' added to my app name.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

JRab wrote:

... the other version, you have to implement a timer of some sort to know when the user is done with their trial. 

Note that the "timer" approach won't really work if all you use is the basic feature in App World.  The user could simply uninstall the trial app after the timer expires, then reinstall it.

The only way to do a real timed trial, currently, would be to make use of the new Payment SDK, or integrate some sort of metadata stored on a separate server.  This may be possible with existing third-party license-generation servers (of which I know little), or you could roll your own.  Non-trivial for most, so the timed-trial option is not generally an option yet.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

RottenOgre wrote:

Personally I plan on staying away from that and just submitting two apps. One paid and one free with 'Lite' added to my app name.

This has the added benefit that the lite version shows up in a search for free apps.

Try & Buy seems to get filtered out if you search for 'Free only'.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

It is a balancing act to determine the best thing to do for trial versions.  If you have a trial app that is $0.99 and you nag them 2 days prior to the end, and you nag them when it expires to then purchase the application, for some, they will do that and if they really like the app, will spend the $0.99 to buy it.  Others, who might like the app, will continue to reinstall it, resetting the nag timer.  Some will continue to do this to avoid spending the $0.99 and others will get tired of this and will simply buy the app.  So the lost revenue might not be as great.

Now if your app is $20 and having someone abuse your trial app simple nag timer, then the lost revenue might be more significant and having a more advance activation scheme would be warranted.  Keeping in mind that a remote activation storage system is more time to develop and maintain when the user tries to uninstall/reinstall, move to another device, upgrade their device, etc.

So for many apps, a simple nag system might be sufficient to nag the user to purchase their app.

It still would make sense for an app to be able to query app world for this information by the transaction id the payment system provides.  It would take a lot less time for this to be added via the SDK then for 100 different developers doing their own thing in a 100 different ways.  BB should be concerned about the overall experience the end user will have with the PB.  Consistent and unified approach to download, trial, payment, etc should be the job of the OS and not each individual application provider.  End user happiness about this (and other things) directly translates to increase sales.

Developer

banzai76 wrote:

This has the added benefit that the lite version shows up in a search for free apps.

Try & Buy seems to get filtered out if you search for 'Free only'.

I'd consider carefully whether you want your non-free app to have it's feature-limited trial version show up when a user searches for "Free apps".

If the trial version is actually useful in and of itself, in spite of the limitations, then that's one thing.

If the trial version exists only to provide a general feel for how the app functions, but could never be inherently useful without an upgrade to the full version, then I, as a user, would be really annoyed at you for contriving to get it listed as a free app.  I'd consider it a trick, and that would count heavily against me actually choosing to pay for the real version.

Just a thought... it may be appropriate for some, but not others.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

@peter: im sure if the user sees the word "Lite" in the name it'll let them know somethnig is different about it. also in the description field you can describe exactly what you are downloading (you being the user). i dont see how this would pose as a problem.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Contributor

peter9477 wrote:

I'd consider carefully whether you want your non-free app to have it's feature-limited trial version show up when a user searches for "Free apps".

If the trial version is actually useful in and of itself, in spite of the limitations, then that's one thing.

Yep, good point.

I make Lite versions of Full games, but I always ensure the Lite version stands by itself.

Developer

JRab, I agree, and provided the functionality is not effectively broken for ongoing use, it would not pose a problem.

I was referring to the case where an app might provide a general feeling for the thing, but in effect not be usable for any real purpose.

For example, a game with only the first level might validly be called "Lite".

A drawing program which only works for 60 seconds before shutting down should not be called "Lite".  It's clearly intended only to let you get a feel for how the app works, but is actually useful to no one.

Clear enough?