Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
sberfield
My Device: Playbook Developer
My Carrier: none

Two questions from a new dev

Hi All,

Just submitted my first sigend app on the 15th. It was done using pretty vanilla Flash and AS3 using Flash Pro CS5. I was surprised how well and easily it all went together -- though packaging and signing was a bit messy (and I still don't quite get what is going on with the simulator and screen rotation).

For my next app, I want to take a bit more time (this first one was done VERY quickly) and really use the proper QNX UI elements, implement in-app purchase model and finally, to get away from the command line for packaging, signing and deploying.

So... my questions are:

1) Best examples/tutorials for using the QNX libraries in Flash. I may someday move to Flash-Builder, but for now, I am just too comfy in Flash.

2) Best way to combine work in Flash itself with the nice tools availabl ein Flash-uilder Burrito.

3) Any info on implementing an in-app model for purchasing virtual currencies. Both the API - side (which doesn't look too bad fomr the docs) and the process for submitting and getting approved the virtual SKUs.

Sorry if these are really common questions, but searching around has lead me to lots of informaiton about all sorts of things, but not a lot that is directly applicable so I figured I could pick your brains and then do the same favor for others down the line.

Scott

Two apps and counting:
Video Poker: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/33870
Classic Slots: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/40279
Please use plain text.
Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Two questions from a new dev

This may be surprising to you, but I have been specifically avoiding the QNX components more and more as I develop apps. I do this because I want to test using the desktop simulator more than I want to test with the VM. The  VM is pretty responsive, but the desktop simulator is faster, and just easier, IMO. You can't use the desktop sim if you use the QNX components.

Additionally, if you don't use the QNX components, you could potentially port the app to other platforms if you choose.

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Many of the QNX SDK can be used in AIR.  Right now, only TextInput, QNXApplication, Device, LocaleManager do not work in AIR because of PPS.

I too develop mostly in AIR and only go to the simulator to do final testing or to check something.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001
My Device: Not Specified

Does this mean I should try to avoid using the QNX Lib?

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

you don't have to avoid QNX, but if you want to use the same code base for different depoloyment targets (Desktop OSes, Android OS, etc.) you'll have to poll the OS at runtime in order to execute (or not execute) OS specific APIs.

IE:  QNXApplication isn't going to work on Android devices, etc.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001

Is there any advantage to using QNX Lib then?
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978

yes, of course!  QNX offers APIs for in-app purchases, swipe gesture events, media controls, etc., that are required if you want to take advantage of these OS specific APIs in your PlayBook application.  however, other classes, like the QNX UI classes, are more of a convience rather than a necessity.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001

Ah, so specifically for the QNX UI libs there's no major advantage?
Please use plain text.
Developer
TheDarkIn1978

[ Edited ]

not really.  but in a few cases QNX UI components offer more than just a convience.

1.  the QNX List compoents are designed for a touch enabled device that includes scrolling momentum.  nothing is stopping you from creating your own scrollable list component with momentum, but as i've done exactly that i can tell you that it can get fairly complicated.  it's also likely that QNX components don't employ MOUSE_MOVE events or other common methods which can really slow down processes on mobile devices.

2.  the QNX TextInput component allows you to specify a ReturnKeyType and KeyboardType of the pop-up keyboard.  while using and tapping on a standard AS3 input text field or component will also pop-up the keyboard, it's not officially possible to assign a ReturnKeyType or KeyboardType to them.  i've found a way to make it work though, which you can read about here:  QNX Keyboard Control [UNOFFICIAL]

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Please use plain text.
Contributor
becooltim
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9930 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Sprint

In regards to question 1, if you want some good information about QNX specific UI components, take a look at this: http://corlan.org/2011/02/17/working-with-playbook-qnx-ui-components/

Please use plain text.