Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
mzettler
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: Unable to start application - error code 8

I'm getting this error with the s/w simulator.

Did not think I needed to sign apps for testing on the simulator.

Please use plain text.
Developer
ChernyshovYuriy
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: null

[ Edited ]

CONFIRM. Any app I am trying to run at simulator 2.0 get an error 8! At the same time, running any of those app at simulator 1.0.8 have no problems. Also, running on the real device also have no problems.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
rlammers
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16BG
My Carrier: None

I'm getting this error on the simulator also. My App works fine on a real PlayBook. On the Simulator it installs the icon but I cannot run it.

Flash Builder also returns errors:

Captive runtime DISABLED: 

An internal error occurred during: "Launching Evaluatiemomenten (PlayBook Simulator)".
org.osgi.framework.Version.compareTo(Lorg/osgi/framework/Version:smileywink:I

Captive runtime ENABLED:

Failed to create application process: Exec format error

Again, the App runs fine on a real PlayBook. Also I've even installed a debug key on the simulator. But it will keep saying "debug token issue date missing or in the future". I'm assuming this is not a problem since you don't need a debug token on the simulator.

Any help?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
rlammers
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16BG

Also tried testing after:

- removing the debug token
- without signing the application
- removing all instances and rebooting the device
- without selecting 'install and run' option in debug configurations

Still the same errors...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Chris_My_BB_Dev
My Device: Playbook 2.0.0.
My Carrier: N\A

I had the same problem using Simulator.  Tried removing development app and going again - No Luck.  Restored back up of virtual mchine - No Luck.  Finally looked for alternatives to Eclipse and found how to build from scratch with a demo that was producing error 8.  Going Old School and from command line ... and no error 8.

Finally figured out that Eclipse was not packaging the executable into a xxx.bar file.

Now I use Eclipse to compile and link but I use command line to package and deploy.  See these links

To Package ..

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.quickstart/topic/lau...

To Deploy ...

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.quickstart/topic/run...

This also stoped the annoyance of Eclipse failing to connect to the Simulator VM.

Downside can't debug app.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Error code 8 typically means that the developer debug token has expired on the device.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Actually I think Error 13 means the debug token expired. No idea what 8 is...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Chris_My_BB_Dev
My Device: Playbook 2.0.0.
My Carrier: N\A

I am deploying to the simulator (way too early to start deploying to my playbook :heart:) and I thought that you didnt need to use any tokens.  Like I said with no tokens set if I use the IDE to build, packakage and deploy I get error 8.  If I build and then from the command line package and deploy (with no tokens) it works.

I am guessing but I think error 8 is raised when there is no app to launch on the target.  It would be nice if a BB developer could let us know what error 8 meant :Helpsmilie:.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rikerz
My Device: Playbook

I am having a similar issue:

I receive "Error 8" everytime I try to run my application on the real Blackberry Playbook, but I am using the native development environment.

I have tried resetting the Playbook OS (through the desktop application) and I have also tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the development environment on my PC.

Even the example applications included with the development environment fail with "Error 8".

What led to this situation:

I had my debug token expire, so I was getting "Error 13". I renewed the debug token on the device, and began getting "Error 8". This error has persisted throughout all of my attempts to remedy it. Before the debug token expired, I had not experienced any of these errors.

Probable explanations:

1) The debug token expiring caused something to break deep within the Playbook OS, which even resetting the OS can't fix.

2) Something randomly changed in my development environment which can persist through uninstallation, manual removal of remaining files, and registry cleanup.

I am leaning towards option #1.

I really want to develop for the Playbook, but this series of events has really put me off.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Try removing the current debug token. Restart the device. Add a new token. Do you still get the error then?
Please use plain text.