Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
PleaseKING
My Carrier: -

Understanding license keys and models

Hi all,

Please point me to some docs/forum posts if all/some of my questions are explained elsewhere, I haven't managed to find an answer so far. I am a complete newbie in terms of BlackBerry App development, and we are now trying to port our Adobe AIR application to BlackBerry. I've read about different license models and here are my questions:

1. Can I change the license model after the app is submitted? I.e. can I submit a free up (beta-mode) for some time, and then change to paid model?
  2. if I use static or dynamic license keys, how do I get the license key in my application? I.e. as far as I understand, the AppWorld server gets the unique key for the application when user buys it and keeps it somewhere, but how do I get/verify this key in my application? How do I lock the application instance to the particular user/device where it was purchased?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Understanding license keys and models

1. You can physically change the license model (e.g free to buy), but it can be a question of should you.  If you downloaded a "free" application and then later on it is a purchased application and there is an upgrade, the upgrade fee can be $0, but if you charge for the upgrade, we have to assume that app world will allow a user to choose to upgrade vs. forced to upgraded.  Some think that it should be a new product in the vendor portal.  "My App Trial" vs "My App", so then you could leave the free version alone (and possibly upgrade at times), and the "full" paid version could be a different product that can be optionally purchased.  If you have a "beta" product, I would have that as a different product and named like "My App Beta" and when the full version is ready, remove from sale the beta product.

2. This is not clear yet (to me at least).  There is no API to do this, so I have to guess that the user will see the key and will have to copy and paste that into your application somewhere.  Then you will have to validate the key against your application or your server.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
PleaseKING
My Carrier: -

Thanks a lot for the reply, I understand the first point - appending 'beta' suffix will work - but in terms of the last one, then what's the real different between a single key and a pool of keys if you cannot verify the key? Just looking for the guidelines / examples / whatever how to implement this licensing workflow. What you describe sounds weird for me:

1. user buys an application
  2. application gets downloaded and installed
  3. user launches it and it asks for the key??? So where to find a key? does user need to got to his email inbox to get it? 

Is that correct? Is it how it is supposed to be?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

The question is getting more App World specific.  Probably best to post the question there

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/bd-p/appworld_dev

You might be able to get an answer from someone based on another platform.

Please use plain text.