Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
RottenOgre
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Updating Apps In Appworld

Does anyone have any experience with how to do this?

I want to submit my app to appworld as soon as possible to ensure that I can get the free Playbook, and make sure there's no last minute submission problems but I want to make sure I can update my app once it's been accepted, so that if I want to make little tweaks I can push those out.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

Re: Updating Apps In Appworld

I have read a post in here by a developer of blackberry phone applications ( and now for the Playbook ) that the longest approval period is the initial application submission.  Subsequent updates to that application take less time to get approved.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre

Hmm.

Do you know how long the initial period is?

If I wait until a week before the deadline (not planning on, but just curious), is that too late?

In other words, while the official cut-off date is Feb 1, what is the real cut-off date for submitting an app?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

BB has said 10 days. but initially it might take longer.  If you have not submitted by Jan 15th, you're probably cutting it very close.

Please use plain text.
Developer
streak81
My Device: 9930, PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have waited 2-3 weeks for the initial approval in the past...i would suggest submitting asap, and refining between now and feb 1st.  if you submit even now, you are still going to have to resubmit with a signed app prior to launch, but at least the app world review team will be able to review your app and accept/reject now.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre

Thanks guys. Looks like I had less buffer time than I thought.

@streak: What do you mean about resubmitting a signed version? They haven't released the signing keys yet?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

hey,

no they havent yet. right now they asked us to submit our apps into app world unsigned. later on they will give us instructions on how to sign them and re-submit them. Idealy we woudnt have to go through the whole approval process but anythings possible. the official word from the webinar was on December 15th signing capabilites would be made available for AIR applications. So we still have till tomorrow to know for sure if that pans out.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
RottenOgre

What do you guys think about this?

I'm working on a game. The problem is that it's going through beta testing right now and I'm not sure if I can get all the levels tested enough before the deadline(it's possible, but I don't want to rely on that).

I was planning on releasing a 'Lite' version (a couple of levels from the full version, but for free) of the game anyway, so I can just submit that to AppWorld for the free Playbook offer so that I don't have to rely on getting all of the levels tested before the deadline, just the ones that I include in the 'Lite' version.

I can then push out any UI or graphic changes I make or whatever to the 'Lite' version as I proceed with testing the full version.

My only concern is that it may get rejected because it's a Lite version for a game that doesn't yet exist on AppWorld. On the other hand there's no real reason why that should make a difference; it's a stand-alone free app.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and try to submit the Lite version? Or is that likely just a waste of time and I should just concentrate on getting the full version complete as fast as possible?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You logic seems sound.  There is not a criteria in the give-away that you wont qualify if its a 'lite' version.  If it has 3-4 levels, who's to say that this is not a full version.

There will be lots of updates to PB App World application in the first 6 months after the release of the actual PB.  It is hard to add PB like features when the simulator is not fully functional and no one (except for the lucky few) has the actual device.

If the game is solid, attractive, playable at a current state, I would say get it in.  BB wants as many applications as they can get (of quality) so they can say on release "we have X number of developrs with Y number of applications in our Z month of release".

Please use plain text.
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

I agree with jtegen, your idea seems like a really good candidate for submission.  I look forward to hearing more about it soon.

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Please use plain text.