Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Using Debug Tokens (Setup and Deploy)

[ Edited ]

hey,

just wanna post my experience -- i've successfully installed the debug tokens and deployed a debug-mode app to the device via wifi. i cant tell you how much i dont trust the IDE (Flash Builder / Burrito) when it comes to registering keys and what not. So i always do the important stuff via command line and this time was no different. It gives me more control and the error messages are more obvious as opposed to letting the IDE handle it.

Here's what i did:

1. First followed all the command line steps to register and create the debug token on this page -- i used all the same passwords as my PIN and cskpass / keystore password as i did with my original signing key:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23959/Create_a_debug_token_cmd_line_1585437_11...

2. Then i followed the the instructions on the following page to set up my application via Burrito to do use the debug token method to debug my apps:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23959/Configure_app_for_debug_tokens_cmd_line_...

The thing to keep in mind here is that its <authorId> and NOT <authorID> -- i think a lot of people are getting tripped up here. Also something else to keep in mind the new tag is now <author> and not <publisher> as it previously was in the other SDKs. Once I updated my blackberry-tablet.xml file with that information, i did a Project > Clean and cleaned my project.

3. Next I setup the device as a tester for debugging the app. What you need to keep in mind here is to NOT check the last box that says "Install debug token" because you will have already done that part via the command line and doing it again is not necessary.

4. Once you set up your device with the correct IP and Host IP you are ready to do the debugging.

5. If you did everything right, it should install your app and start debugging with no errors. Also keep in mind if your application does require permissions make sure u hit OK on the device ASAP -- if you wait too long the debugger on your host machine gives up -- it's qutie the quitter.

That's my experience --  do the heavy lifting with command line and do the not so disasterous parts in the IDE and it should work like a charm.

also i forgot to mention make sure to use the debug token .csj file and not the other one -- i came close to mixing that up lol

good luck to everyone -- it's a pretty cool feeling after you get this part done -- kind of like a roller coaster you dont want to go on hah

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Using Debug Tokens (Setup and Deploy)

I have a question, if you debug with command line, could you add break points in Flash Build?
Developer

hey,

if you do all the debug token stuff via the command line, then yes, you can still debug as u normally would via Flash Builder. The debug token serves simply as a key to get into the device and allow unsigned apps to run like from Flash Builder. once you do all the command line stuff you can simply do as you normally would from Flash Builder after setting up the device with its IP address and what not.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

[ Edited ]

Thanks JRab.  I think the key is to use the SAME csk password for both the signing token and the debug token.  Flash Builder can't seem to handle two different CSK passwords for signing and debug.  I believe the p12 password can be different than the CSK (it can for signing).  If you mess up and register with different passwords, then the only alternative I can see it to go get a new SIGNING key and set the password to what ever your developer key was.  You can reset the registration of the signing keys by getting a new signing CSJ but I've tried resetting the debug CSJ's and once you set one (presumably against your machine), you are toast.  At least re-registring a debug csj doesn't make it invalid like it does for the signing csj's.    They need a -deregister command for both so you can start again using your existing CSJ's.  

Best regards,

Brent

If you found my post helpful, please thank me with a Kudo. Thanks!
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

if i do this:

"blackberry-airpackager -listManifest <path to debug token>"

i get "Error: Unknown option: -listManifest"

...?

Developer

Hey fancyoso,

Make sure that you are using the newest SDK 1.0.1 -- the older ones do not support that argument. So just update your sdk and it should start working. Good luck!
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--