Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
DachFlach
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

View trace in Simulator

Using the Graphical AID, how do I enable seeing trace statements in the simulator?

Where would I see them?

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: View trace in Simulator

You need to connect a debugger to the simulator to see trace statements.  If you don't have an IDE with a built-in debugger, you can use the commandline debugger (fdb).

Please use plain text.
Developer
DachFlach

Thank you. But how does one connect FDB to the Simulator?

I fired up FDB and run   but I see no traces.

I see lots of conflicting advise.

What actually works for you..  or anyone else?

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Give this a try:

https://developer.blackberry.com/air/documentation/bb10/testing_your_application_cmd_ms_2010851_11.h...

Note that your SWF needs to have been compiled w/debug options for you to be able to debug.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

Please use plain text.
Developer
DachFlach

That seems to only describe how to do it from the command line.
Is there a way to debug the simulator after building and installing/launching from the Graphical Aid?
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

[ Edited ]

Step 3 of the section "Debug your application using the command line" should be equivalent to pressing the "Install Now" button on the Install tab of the graphical aid.  I have only used the graphical aid a couple times long ago but I seem to remember that it didn't do SWF builds, only BAR builds.  So just to stress this again but your SWF needs to be compiled w/debug options or you won't get any trace output.  If you don't have an IDE based debugger and therefore only have fdb as an option, the procedure from the link in my earlier reply should get you going, just with the substitution that you're pressing a button in a GUI to install and launch your app vs. entering a command on the commandline.

This is just my opinion but while the graphical aid is nice for getting folks up and running, the better long term solution for folks who don't use an IDE and who want to have products in App World that they intend to sell, upgrade, and support is to create your own commandline build flow in your own scripts.  Using the graphical aid makes you unncessarily dependent on RIM for tooling upgrades and bug fixes on something that I suspect is not a high priority for RIM.  With your own build flow scripts you have full visibility into every step, and furthermore you can manage your build flow under version control software.  The moment you have a bug report and start editing your code to try to fix a bug, one question that for sure you are not going to want nagging you is whether you are building your source code changes with the same setup and options as the version of your app that's out in the wild.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara

One other thing:  At least on PlayBook, if you install a debuggable app but launch it later (or if you launch at install time, close the app, and launch it again) by tapping/clicking the app icon on the simulator or device, you get a pop up dialog that requests the IP address of the debug host.  You can cancel this dialog and start the app w/out connecting a debugger, or you can enter an IP address of your debug host and run a debug session.  So there's no need to reinstall your app even if it hasn't changed, just to start a debug session.

Please use plain text.
Developer
DachFlach

Thank you 

Please use plain text.