Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
Paladinleeds
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2-UK

VirtualBox Help

[ Edited ]

Hi guys, developing on a Mac and don't have $50 to spare for the VMware Fusion (and I don't want to torrent it etc), and have been trying to use VirtualBox but it doesn't seem to install the OS...

I have already set a virtual hard disk on the box of 16GB, and linked the BlackBerry PlayBook Simulator ISO image to a CD Drive in the virtual image. I have also told it load from hard disk first, then CD drive, but all it does is enter a Terms of Use/EULA every time it loads up. I go through it, accept the agreement, press enter to reboot it, and up pops the EULA again...

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: VirtualBox Help

Simulator only officially supports VMWare.  You can download a free version of VMWare.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_fusion_for_the_mac/3_0

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paladinleeds

Well John, I'm burning through my 250GB hard disk quite fast for this. Is this old version os VMware free for life? And will the PlayBook support it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Its the version RIM recommends for Mac users (which I am not one).

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/adobe.jsp

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paladinleeds

[ Edited ]

It's demanding a serial key. As I said, I DON'T have $50 to spare...

I therefore need a different solution, rather than being defected to software I cannot afford. And I also don't have access to a Windows PC...

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

[ Edited ]

It won't work with virtualbox. I have already checked on a number of websites and a lot of people have tried and the official word from virtualbox is that it will not be happening. The issue is that it is runn QNX and it is a completely different OS and also has special hardware support. I know it is emulation but specific work has been done to make this happen on VMWare player and fusion. As I said I have looked into virtualbox and it simply won't work without considerable effort and they don't see a pressing need to do so.

@

A  strange and silly solution would be to use virtualbox to run linux then install vmware player inside it and do your development from there but again that would probably be pretty slow.

So unless you are up for that strange solution you are simply going to have to pay for the vmware player or use another machine or not test your apps. Sorry but we are telling you there isn't another way.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Paladinleeds

Speed isn't of the essence in my app. I just want to check everything functions as normal. One thing I AM trying is to install Ubuntu as a dual-boot on my Mac, but that's not getting very far as I don't have access to a CD, and the USB flash drive thing just isn't working for me either...

I may have to do that double-emulation thing if it doesn't work... I'm also unsure as how to sign my apps (Flash CS4 doesn't want to accept the signing file from RIM as it's the wrong format, guess I'll have to submit it unsigned too...)

Please use plain text.
Developer
thesmileman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

There is a number of posts about how to correctly sign your app.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

The main reason from what i know is that 3d acceleration support is not built into VirtualBox. and there is no way to run the Guest Additions as it doesnt boot further enought for you to run them. One option is to prepackage the guest additions into the Simulator ISO image. But thats something RIM would have to invest time. And right now thats least of their priority.

Please use plain text.