Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

WAKE UP RIM - Android is not the answer!

RIM, I am utterly disgusted with you.

How can all of you (yes, that includes all you devs) have such a poor understanding of how this works? Let me break this down for you:

Problem: RIM has thus far been unable to attract a large number of developers to its platforms, and as a result has a fraction of the number of apps found on iOS or Android.

RIM's Solution: Make it easier for developers to port applications from other platforms.

ACTUAL Solution: Establish a core group of high-end developers that will produceexclusive software for RIM's platforms.

Can anyone here explain to me how getting some of the apps that are already on Android will convince consumers to choose a PlayBook over a comparable Android tablet? 

Do any of you play video games? You might have heard about a system called the Nintendo Wii in the news. If you're not familiar with it, you should take some time and read up on the competition between Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, because it runs in direct parallel to what we're facing in the smartphone market. In short, Nintendo is dominating. Their Wii sells about as much as the Sony PS3 and Microsoft Xbox360 combined, and Nintendo's DS sells about as much as the PS3, 360, andWii combined.  Why does Nintendo outperform their competitors have more powerful hardware that is much easier to develop cross-platform games for? Let me spell it out for you: Nintendo has the best exclusives hands-down. You can buy Call of Duty 2 on the PC, 360, and PS3. Know where you can buy Mario? Zelda? How about Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Nintendogs, F-Zero, etc etc etc? Just one place: Nintendo.

What does this mean to the consumer? Well, just ask yourself: if you want to buy a game, how do you choose which system to buy? If Madden comes out a month later on the 360 than the PS3, and you really love Madden, are you going to buy the 360? Of course not. On the other hand, if you want to buy Mario, you only have one choice: Nintendo. And you know what? Alot of people love Mario. Mario sells millions of copies of every game he's in. The Mario franchise produces some of the highest selling games for each console generation despite only being on one system year after year, decade after decade. It's because Mario is the most extreme quality. Mario is unfiltered, pure fun. Those games are refined and polished, and often so innovative that they are consistently defining a new standard for all games that follow.

Pay attention, RIM! You need to learn from Nintendo. If you can't produce your own industry-leading software, then make a deal with someone who can. Getting second-hand Android games isn't going to steer any additional customers your way, it is a huge disservice to your native developers, all of whom will leave you, and it makes you look weak and inept, totally unable to produce competitive content.

You need to LEAD. You should be trying to come up with software that makes Apple and Google want to copy YOU, not the other way around. 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: WAKE UP RIM - Android is not the answer!

[ Edited ]

you're being a little overly dramatic, don't you think?

exclusive software usually acts as a way to market hardware (IE Mario by Nintendo for Nintendo hardware, Final Cut Pro by Apple for Apple hardware, etc.).  other than that the software industry is generally adhered to a model of portability and you'll be hard-pressed to find a sane developer (especially a small developer) who chooses to develop for only one platform.

Android on playbook is game changer.  hopefully we will see other platforms following suit.  it's a market coalition against the exclusivity, which benefits both developers and consumers, making the PlayBook hardware more enticing than it's already impressive specs.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

And this post needed a new thread why?

I can understand some of your objections, but your example is not that good. People buy a Wii if they want to play Mario, but they also need an XBox-360 or PS3 for all the other kinds of games the Wii can't handle.

RIM allowing for Android developers to port their apps even easier will allow for exclusive, PlayBook-specific apps (like Mindmaps for example:smileyhappy:) and at the same time allow for smaller apps (like your local train info app or restaurant app) to be ported very easily. Those smaller apps would not have ended up on the PlayBook otherwise and now there is a chance that they will, which is surely a good thing for the consumer and not a threat to us.

If you, as a developer, feel threatened by the 200K of Android Apps, you shouldn't. First of all, each of that massive amount of apps needs to be imported into the App World after the developer has registered. Let's say 40% does this (very positive estimate). That leaves us with 80000 apps that are running well on the PlayBook but not one of them will make us of the swipe down gesture, the advanced possibilities by the native SDK or the extra performance if you don't use the Android sandbox. Our apps still very much have a reason to exist.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Thanks for the insult of our itelligence when you can't even look to see the 4-5 topics already discussing the exact same thing.

Also your point makes no sense. By your logic Nintendo having COD games should hurt their console in some way.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

GoldenJoe: while I agree with most of your points and definitely was upset about this at first, I think we need to look at it a little differently:
Software developers want to go where the sales are. This isn't game development where a team of people is behind each project; we're for the most part individuals. And, for me and I'm sure a bunch of devs, we took on the playbook because the free device was enticing. For those that have an established base in android or java though, taking on another device probably would be too much for them to handle so they ignored the playbook.

Now, because porting is going to be easy, I assume that we will get many devs exposed to the product, and in term begin to create exclusives once they see what it can do. They will now pay attention to something they had never even bothered to take an interest in, which in turn should greatly help the quality of apps and the numbers.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: 9930, PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I agree
PB Apps <  PB Apps + Android Apps

competition is great and so is support for as many platforms as possible.  This is a testament to the capabilities of QNX as an OS.

Also...To anyone on here who is afraid that the competition and support for android will make you lose sales...MAKE BETTER APPS.  As always, the better apps will do well and the others will get lost in the mix.  This is true for all platforms.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

And GoldenJoe while I may agree with you, you did make this comment in another thread:

GoldenJoe wrote:

Take a look at the list of PlayBook apps, and you'll have your answer.

So while a lot of cruft may get ported over from Android, it hopefully won't get approved (however knowing RIM....) and it will only further push developers to make better apps. I konw mine aren't the cleanest, or most fluid apps, and this is definitely a kick in the pants to make sure I'm constantly updating and adding content to the apps I create.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Carrier: n/a

@streake81, the concerned devs arent worried about competition they are worried about getting lost in the app store. There are soooooooooooooo many good apps on apples app store that slip through the cracks. Sucess there is really is more about luck than a quality product
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

[ Edited ]

I think you're having a massive overreaction here.

First of all, tablets are not a gaming platform. Yes, there are games for tablets but that's only one small component of what they do - web surfing, ebooks, music, video etc. So it's kind of an invalid comparison.

Secondly, in the gaming industry there are plenty of killer apps but how many killer apps are there in the tablet/smartphone industry? Angry Birds? And which platforms is Angry Birds exclusive on? In this industry the top apps tend to try to push their way onto every platform they can.

Thirdly you say:

"Can anyone here explain to me how getting some of the apps that are already on Android will convince consumers to choose a PlayBook over a comparable Android tablet?"

You're missing the point. I've seed lots of people saying that the PlaBook looks great but they're concerned about the apps. You see, RIM doesn't have a great image currently when it comes to apps. But Android does. And now RIM gets to leverage that and remove the one doubt that a consumer might have had.

And lasty:

"ACTUAL Solution: Establish a core group of high-end developers that will produceexclusive software for RIM's platforms."

Have you heard of TAT?

EDIT:@thesmileman: I agree. That was my biggest concern when I heard the news. Luckily it wont be here until summer which gives us some time to get noticed while there are still a relatively small number of apps.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally disagree with you. Playbook should support as many as possible executable formats...

* Your app could be the greatest app ever made on earth, but you can be quite sure that nobody will buy the tablet because your app is very good. If nobody buys the tablet, your app is useless.

* Flash development tools are not free and in my opinion weaker than Android development tools. Its not Blackberry's fault but Adobe's. Since it is not possible and feasible for Blackberry to develop its development platform, it is a good choice to adopt one(which is free and powerful)

* In my point of view, a good platform should be open, must have good development tools and portable. WebWorks seems to be the best option for this. Java comes second, and Flash, I don't really want it to be in the list at all. (By the way, it also currently possible to port an android web app or iphone web app into Blackberry just with minor changes, or use the same swf for Android or Blackberry)

By the way, if there was a game console that can play Xbox, nintendo, ps3 and pc games, I would definetly buy that one...