Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: WARNING: Test House will happily approve broken releases

The App World team does not test functionality within an application.  Applications are loaded onto a real device to verify it installs and is able to start up without any errors.  It is the responsibility of the developer to ensure that the core features of an application are working as intended.

Note that you do have the ability to remove an item for sale to prevent new purchases of the application.  So you could remove a bad version from sale.

We will investigate why an older version of your application was approved when there was a newer one waiting in the queue.  This should not have happened and we apologize for the problems this has caused.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Tour

tensioncore wrote:
... nothing happened until today when both the older updates were denied with the following notes in both: **Newer release was present and Approved**

As I noted yesterday, I had 2 outstanding releases in the queue for the same app. Yesterday evening, I received one email related to each, within seconds of each other. The second update release, which was the most recent, and of course the one that I wanted to be evaluated and approved, was indeed approved.

But the first one, received this result: "Unfortunately Release '1.1' from your product 'Video Poker for BlackBerry PlayBook' has not passed testing and therefore cannot be approved for sale through BlackBerry App World."

Now I could read between the lines and conjecture that the reason for the denial was that it was superceded by another release, so denial was a way of getting it out of the way. But then again, it specifically gave "not passed testing" as a reason. I looked on the tickets on the vendor portal and didn't see any more specific reason, or any explanation of why it didn't pass.

The net outcome is what I wanted: the current release was approved, and the one before is out of the way. But it leaves me puzzled as to why I wouldn't get a similar message about the newer release being present and approved. Or, if it truly did not pass testing, a) why was it tested at all, given that a newer release was available, and therefore a total waste of time, and b) if it failed, what was the reason? All I'm left with is to kind of think "oh, it didn't work...and I have no idea what was the problem".

Now it's about 20 hours later, and as of just a moment ago, the new release doesn't show up on App World when I search on the tablet itself...it's still showing an even earlier release. Yeah, I know, it's cached somewhere, and will work itself out eventually..............................

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Same here KenSalmon. This morning I got all outstanding releases of my Calculator approved but AppWorld still has the old release. I'm still not sure why this cache has such extreme TTLs. 

Mark, thanks for clarifying things about the Test House!

Developer

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:

The App World team does not test functionality within an application.  Applications are loaded onto a real device to verify it installs and is able to start up without any errors.  It is the responsibility of the developer to ensure that the core features of an application are working as intended.

This makes the wait time for upgrades even harder to stomach.... why are we forced to wait 1-2 weeks for updates to get approved, when it sounds like it's literally a 5 minute process to test... 

And if this is the case, and they only need to test if it will run, there must be some way to automate this process... and get to where Android Market is with instant approval. They check your APK when you upload it, make sure it's legit, and post it immediately for sale...

My Device: BlackBerry Passport

shawnblais wrote:

MSohm wrote:

This makes the wait time for upgrades even harder to stomach.... why are we forced to wait 1-2 weeks for updates to get approved, when it sounds like it's literally a 5 minute process to test... 

And if this is the case, and they only need to test if it will run, there must be some way to automate this process... and get to where Android Market is with instant approval. They check your APK when you upload it, make sure it's legit, and post it immediately for sale...

There are plans to introduce more automated tests into the App World Tablet OS app submission process that should help to greatly speed up this process.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE
My Carrier: UfonePK

Please do that ASAP!!!

My app update is still marked "New" since 24th April. And it will take another 1-2 weeks on "Waiting on Test House" status. While they already approved my ticket for new description for the same. So, description is of v1.2, but users download v1.0 Smiley Sad

// chall3ng3r //
--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post Smiley Happy
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, Curve 9300
My Carrier: MTN

+1 from me. I've submitted an update that fixes an app breaking bug that some users are running into. It's agonizing waiting for this update to be approved.
Developer

Ha, coincidence? My update was just approved, submitted April 25, approved May 2. So basically 1 full week.

Still too long, especially if it was a critical update.

There's no way to take down an update that may be broken, and no way for user's to roll back to previous versions, which could make for some horrible user experiences if they download a busted App and then have no way to uninstall it, and no update for at least a full week...