Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
iphoneman
My Device: Not Specified

Web Browser?

After several restarts, the simulator finally started working but to my surprise there are no apps! Is there a way to get a web browser so I can test our site?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Web Browser?

The current PlayBook Simulator does not include a Browser.  It can only be used to test Adobe AIR applications.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
adrianpomilio

The cool part is that you can use AIR to create a webbrowser :-)  Which will use WebKit.  Just look into the HTML component, only used in AIR.  Unless it was stripped out for the Playbook.

New Developer
mseth

I just tried it out... looks like the HTML component has been disabled for the Playbook.  :smileysad:

Can someone please confirm this? I'd like to start building some RSS Readers, but would need that component to work to continue.

Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

It's called QNXStageWebView();

import qnx.media.QNXStageWebView;

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
New Developer
mseth

Yep.. confirmed that works. it's still a little buggy and sluggish though, but looks like you guys still haven't  finalized it.

Developer
JCarty

This is what I actually ended up doing. Proof of concept. Works like a charm:

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
New Developer
jamesharnedy

Jerome - I went the route of using the command line tools (to avoid Flash Builder) but in my docs the qnx.media.QNXStageWebView package is not documented. How are you getting to it?

Thanks, James

New Contributor
René

You wouldn't mind uploading the *.bar file for this, would you? PleaseAndThankYou

Developer
JCarty

jamesharnedy wrote:

Jerome - I went the route of using the command line tools (to avoid Flash Builder) but in my docs the qnx.media.QNXStageWebView package is not documented. How are you getting to it?

Thanks, James

I'm using the same qnx.media.QNXStageWebView package.

I used the RSS Feed reader sample that someone posted on the forums as a reference.

var webView:QNXStageWebView = new QNXStageWebView();

var rect:Rectangle = new Rectangle(0, 60, 1024, 680);

// Set layout
webView.stage = stage;
webView.viewPort = rect;
webView.autoFit = true;

// Functionality		
webView.enableCookies = true;
webView.enableJavascript = true;
webView.enableScrolling = true;

// ...
getUrl('http://www.google.com'); // Home page preset

// ...

// getUrl method
function getUrl(url:String):void{
    webView.loadURL(url);
}

I took out the functionality for monitoring the progress but may put it back if I want to play around with this some more. It's only a learning experiment for me.