Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
pbhattacherjee

Webcast - Q&A

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

After reviewing all of the great questions that were submitted during the first webcast, I wanted to post a quick summary of the 4 questions that seemed to be coming up a lot, as well as some more links to material that you may find useful as your developing your apps - 

Q. What are the SDK's that will be available and when will they be released?

A. The BlackBerry PlayBook will feature 4 SDK's - Web/BlackBerry WebWorks, Adobe AIR, Java and native.  The Adobe AIR SDK is already available (http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/devresources.jsp), while the other 3 are in the works.  I can't give exact dates for the other 3, just that more details will be available in the coming months regarding WebWorks, Java and native.

Q. Is Flash Builder 4 required to build apps?

A. No, in fact anything that can generate a SWF file can be used to build BlackBerry PlayBook apps.  Webcast #2 (http://www.blackberry.com/developers/tabletos/myfirstapp) goes through how to use Flash Professional CS5 (which will be supported in the future) to build an app.  It also shows how to use the command line to package an application for the BlackBerry PlayBook

Q. When will the BlackBerry PlayBook be available?

A. The BlackBerry PlayBook is expected to be available in retail outlets and other channels in the United States in early 2011 with rollouts in other international markets beginning in (calendar) Q2.

Q. How many touch points does the device have and can the simulator rotate into portrait mode?

A. The device will have 4 touch points available to the device that you can leverage in your applications.  The device does support standard AIR multitouch API's.  Currently there's no way to rotate the simulator into portrait mode, but it's on the road map to do so.

The press release posted here - http://us.blackberry.com/newsroom/news/press/release.jsp?id=4577, also offers a lot of answers to the questions that came in during the session.

At Adobe MAX, there was a presentations given that will undoubtedly help out a lot of developers in building UI's for apps:

Developing Adobe AIR apps for the BlackBerry Tablet OS - http://2010.max.adobe.com/online/2010/MAX260_1288217641375UQJD

A lot of questions came in around App World and monetizing apps.  This will be covered in much greater depth in one of the future webcasts that we host, so don't lose those questions, we'll be going over the topic in just a few short weeks!

Please feel free to post any questions you had that haven't been answered, and I'll do my best to answer as many as possible!

Thanks,

Prosanta

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

Re: Webcast - Q&A

Hey Prosanta,

thanks for your input and the added personal touch - always welcome. i had another question. is there / will there be a way to mimic multi touch gestures on the simulator to test out the muti touch API's? Also a question that a lot of people have been having: can we leverage any copy and paste functionality on the device using the current sdk? thanks a lot!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

I've been wondering about some of the hardware that hasn't been mentioned.

1) Are there any speakers on the PlayBook and if so, how many?

2) Will the battery be easily user swappable like the cellphones?

3) Is there a reset feature (re: question 2)

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

There are speakers, but I am not certain how many.

With that, I hope there is a headphone jack since this platform will be great for watching movies on the road, play games and music.  Better yet, it would be greate if there were 2 headphone jacks since it is very common in the teenage world to co-listen/co-play on devices like this.

Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Carrier: Rogers

If you look at the pictures of the device there's a port that looks like a headphone jack, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some references confirming that's what it is.

There are also apear to be stereo speakers with one on either side of the screen. I can't think of anything else the pieces you see on either side of the screen at http://ca.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/ could be.

--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
pbhattacherjee

Hi JRab,

We're looking at multi touch right now, definitely aware of how valuable it will be for developers, but we want to make sure we do it right.  Copy/paste has also been an ask from quite a few devs, so I've passed on that feedback.

Please use plain text.
pbhattacherjee

Hi Harry_Dodgson,

1) Yes there are speakers on the PlayBook - the two slots that are shown in the image below are speakers.

2) Unfortunately at this time we can't comment on the battery or battery life

3) Yes there is a reset feature on the device.  Currently if you hold the volume keys down for a number of seconds (both at the same time) the device will reset, not confirmed if that will be the mechanism at launch yet, but there is a reset feature there.

Please use plain text.
pbhattacherjee

Correct, that is a headphone jack.  The BlackBerry PlayBook will feature the best-in-class media, which wouldn't be complete without being able to attach headphones :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Harry_Dodgson
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

I watched the Adobe MAX presentation and am interested in implementing segmented controls in my app.  Is there a sample that I can look at for guidance?  Google hasn't turned up anything except the BlackBerry UI doc.

I typed in the SwipeDown code and got it to work (mostly).  I haven't worked out how to fill the space that is "revealed" above the stage since that section of code was not shown.

Harry

--------------
Accepted PlayBook Applications: Marmi-doos, BASIC, Run and Hide
Please use plain text.
pbhattacherjee

Hi Harry,

The UI guidelines are on the way, they should be up shortly - just not quite fully baked yet.  I'll also be doing a webcast on UI guidelines pretty soon (we'll announce it at the end of the webcast tomorrow).  Hopefully that will answer your questions that you have regarding UI development.

Prosanta

Please use plain text.