Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
mplacona
My Device: Playbook Tablet

What IDE are you using?

Hi, I was just wondering if the nice folks here could shed me a light in regards to what to use for development. I've released two apps already (although none have been approved yet) using Flash Builder 4.5 Trial (Burrito). I was able to build, sign and test stuff without problems whatsoever (apart from some installation issues). I have now noticed that the expiration date on my Flash Builder 4.5 is fast approaching, and although it's been working a treat for me, I'm not particularly keen on spending a lot of $$ on a license. And here is where my question lies. What are you people using to develop your tablet applications? I know Flex Hero is open source, and I could install it on Eclipse for example (Flash Builder runs on eclipse). My question is in regards to creating new applications, or signing stuff. If I decide to go that way, will i still be able to for example (create actionscript mobile projects), test and sign my apps from the IDE? I know you can to that stuff from the command line, but it's a bit of a paint when you have an IDE that does it for you. What are people suing other than Flash builder? What you do have and not have on your current IDE? Any help on that regard will be greatly appreciated,. Cheers
Marcos Placona
www.placona.co.uk
My Playbook Apps:
Bonjour | Time Traveller | Magic Ball
Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

Re: What IDE are you using?

I'm using FlashDevelop. It's small, free and it fits my needs. The other option is FDT, which costs money but is based on eclipse and regarded as the better flash builder.

btw. fdt pure license can be bought here ($49 instead of $129) in a bundle with a lot of other stuff. it's not advertisment, I'm not geting money for it, I just stumpled accross it.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
kdittyr
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

So far I have used Flex Builder 3, Flash Builder 4 and Flash Builder 4.5 Burrito to write, test and PlayBook build projects.  Luckily, the company I work for has purchased those for me.

I have looked around, though, and found a few:

http://tekkie.flashbit.net/flash/axdt-open-source-cross-platform-alternative-for-flash-development

http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=Main_Page

I have always been interested in FDT so what lrrm posted is incredibly interesting...  I may have to pick that up for home use.

I am always keeping my eyes open for alternatives that I can use when not at work.  I have thought of purchasing the lesser version of Flash Builder because while I look at $699 as a doable business expense, my wife, certainly, does not ( at this point ).

Oh, yeah, you will probably also want to install this:

http://demonsterdebugger.com/

That can be used to help debug your applications, at least on your local machine.  I am not sure about on the device, or in the simulator.  I am hoping that they decide to write a version that can be installed on a mobile device as well. ( hint, hint )

--------------
kdittyr

Accepted PlayBook Applications:
HDB Converter -- Utilities/Calculators
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I started with CLI when Flex first came out many years ago and then I paid for the FB series and have never regretted it.

Developer
mplacona

It's just difficult to justify it when I'm not actually doing it professionally.
Marcos Placona
www.placona.co.uk
My Playbook Apps:
New Contributor
kcampbell
My Device: Not Specified

FlashDevelop + ANT = powerful and free.

With the FD Ant plugin, I can call all my build/debug/simulate/deploy/sign targets from within FlashDevelop with a click.

K.

Developer
mplacona

Care to share some more information about it?

Marcos Placona
www.placona.co.uk
My Playbook Apps: