Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: What happens when the signing certificate expires?

Great to here! Loads of signing changes/improvements have occurred since the first PlayBook dev tools were released. If you have any more questions I'm happy to provide the answers.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Garett, follow-up question:

When I try to verify a signed BAR, which was signed with the old certificate, I get this:

c:\> blackberry-signer -verify alreadysignedbar.bar
Info: Bar verified.
Warning: This bar contains entries whose signer certificate will expire within six months.

At first I was worried this was going to mean all apps out there which were signed with the original one-year expiry certificates, were going to suddenly become non-functional soon (Feb 17 in my case).

Is it fair to say that this warning is there solely to alert developers that the certificate they used will shortly not be usable to sign new apps?  But that the old apps will continue to work without updates, "forever"?

If not, this would suggest everyone has to be generating new certificates, signing updates (bump version number and re-sign), and submitting them in the vendor portal in the very near future.  Please tell us nobody has to do that just to keep their apps functional. :smileyhappy:

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Hi Peter,

No need to worry! This is just a warning message, your applications should continue to function even after the p12 certificate expires.

Cheers,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
maribou
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Hi Garett,

The certificate I used for my Android app has expired (valid until Feb. 23, 2012).  My new certificate is valid until 2032. The -printcert output shows the same Owner CN and Issuer CN for both certificates.  However, I cannot deploy a bar file signed with the new certificate if the one signed with the expired certificate is on device.  blackberry-deploy returns failure -104

What is failure -104 and what can I possibly do to upgrade my app, which is already published in App World?

I compared MANIFEST.MF between the old and the new bar files.  Everything is the same except for the following fields: Package-Version, Package-Author-Certificate-Hash, Package-Version-Id, Package-Issue-Date, Application-Version, Application-Version-Id, Archive-Asset-SHA-512-Digest

Package-Author-Id, Package-Id and Application-Id are the same.

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Hi,

Please start a new thread aas this does not appear to be related to the original topic. Your application seems to be signed correctly and the issue is just with deployment.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
maribou
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Started here:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Plug-in-for-Android/Cannot-update-published-app-ce...
but nobody seems to know the answer.

As it stands now, if your certificate expires, the OS will not allow you to replace the app with a new version. I wonder if App World will accept the new version at all. At least if it will, users can uninstall the old version first and then download the new one.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Im confused because the "blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -storepass <storepass> -author <company_name>" command doesnt fit to the official documentation: 

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/30182/Options_blackberry-keytool_1469697_11.js...

Which Version of the keytools do i need?

Can i still use my version (shipped with Tablet SDK 1.0.1) ?

And is the following syntax then the same?

"blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore <certificate_filename.p12> -storepass <storepass> -dname "cn=<company_name>" -alias author

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

The commands have evolved with newer versions of the tools, you should be using the latest SDKs ideally though. To determine which command you should be using open a command prompt to the location of your signing tools and type 'blackberry-keytool' without any arguments, the built-in help will display the command expected to create a p12.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.