Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings
Accepted Solution

What libraries can be used?

[ Edited ]

Hi everybody,

I am starting with programming for tablets and Adobe AIR and I have a small question. What libraries can we use when we develop for the Playbook? I don't want to reinvent the wheel when it's not necessary. To be precise, I have a rarfile and I will need the files that are contained in this archive for my program.

Thank you for your help.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: What libraries can be used?

Besides 0.9.1 of the BB SDK, any Adobe Flex/AIR supported 3rd party library seems to work just fine.  If they are depended on MX controls, you might have issues.  If they are based on Flash core classes, you should be fine.  Wont know till you give it a try.

Developer

Thank you, I was kind of hoping you would say that Java libraries could be used as well, but I should have known better.

BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Developer

Sorry.  There will be a Java SDK in the "future", but if you need to get something done now, it will have to be based on Adobe AIR/Flash.

Developer

Do you have any idea about when it is coming? I am much more experienced at Java programming than AIR.

Developer

No time frame given.  If I had to guess, after Feb 1st.  They are trying to release the PB early 2011.  The contest deadline is Feb 1st.  They have a lot to do with the AIR SDK that that is furthest along.  I cant imagine releasing the other SDK until after the roll out of the device (native and Java).  Again, just my guess.

Developer

Oh well, guess I'll go improve my AIR skills a bit. Thank you!