Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)

What's about subscription

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm pretty sure theres something about this in the vendor guidlines/TOS, but you can guess how much I want to read them carefully :smileywink:

Yesterday I was thinking about an app that is installed once and checks every launch a server for new data. Something like a magazin or an uptodate business card, or maybe even an app that calls you lates blog post, an rss reader.... Short: that loads external data like images, text, video etc...

my question was: Is this allowed?

In the case of a magazin I thought of Apples lates policies and that they want to have 30% of every subscription. Is RIM doing the same thing or is it ok for them that you deliver content to your users without involving them?

Thanks

lrrm

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: What's about subscription

You mean, like an RSS Reader, where the content comes entirely from the web?

Yeah, it's allowed. ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Loading "external content" is done by many applications. An RSS reader gets "external content".  A browser does that too.  If the user is paying for this external content, how is that different than a netflix application or an ebook reader?  I guess if you are not pushing advertisements you are probably OK.

You do bring up a question of trying something that might get stuck in review.  Would be nice to ask the "review board" ahead of time.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm

actually I'm thinking about a portfolio app for me. As as freelance designer I need every piece of attention I can get, and I think an app would be nice as presentation plattform in meetings as well. I dont want to upload another version of my portfolio every 3 months, because upload slots are not for free. so I thought about delivering the worksamples dynamically. this could be regarded as a browser....

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

If you already have an app in for the free PB offer, then you're probably OK.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm

I submitted it yesterday night. I haven't got feedback yet, but as I read from other threads here, this will propably take a week.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Don't count on a week.  I submitted Feb 16 and, other than it switching to "Waiting on Test House" on Feb 22, there has been no indication that they've even looked at it, let alone feedback.

And I'm by no means the one with the longest wait.  Some have heard nothing since January or even December.

Sadly, others who have submitted well after me have already had their apps approved, and (I believe) received the eligibility email.

If there's actually first-in-first-out "queue" here, we've seen no signs of it other than MSohm's use of that word. :smileysad:

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm

hm, ok, thats not good. maybe it depends on the complexity of the app. My app is just a simple game without any complexity.

btw. in the vendor portal I see something like a + and a >= 1 next to my app for open requested changes.... what does that mean?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

I've seen the plus indicating that a product is pending.  Mine have gone away when I receive the approved email.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm

cool, thanks!

Please use plain text.