Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Super Contributor
JeffLemon
My Device: Playbook
Accepted Solution

What's the DPI of the playbook screen?

What's the DPI of the playbook screen?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Apps: Instruments | ARTPAD | Piano | Drums | Xylophone
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: What's the DPI of the playbook screen?

hey jeff,

there have been a few threads about this. but nothing has been confirmed nor denied officially. there have been claims of it having a DPI between the ranges of 168 and 172. unfortunately we cant confirm with the simulator either. so we will either have to wait for the real device or have RIM confirm it for us.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Super Contributor
JeffLemon

Oh right, so what resolution would you suggest I make my designs in photoshop?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Apps: Instruments | ARTPAD | Piano | Drums | Xylophone
Developer
JRab

[ Edited ]

i havent seen anything specific so i've been working with 72 PPI. also the icon "best practices" page states to make icons at 72 PPI. i dont really know how that translates into larger images but for now im sticking with 72. if its too low i can always change it later on down the road.

Edit: Forgot to include a link to the icon resoultion data:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/22301/Designing_application_icons_tablet_14015...

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

The pixels are in fact (and officially) sized at 0.15mm which means a DPI of 169.333.  Searching should have turned up several past threads covering this.

Whether the Capabilities.screenDPI value will hold that or something less precise remains to be seen. 

There are signs the device may report itself as being 170 DPI instead of the closer 169, but we won't know until we see the hardware and a final OS build.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
longway77

The screen measures 153.6mm, which is 6.0472 inch in width. If I use 1024pixels and divide this by those sizes it's about 169 to 170 dpi.

_______ Check out_______
my Apps:
Tilebreaker X - One of the best Tilebreaker Games available for the Playbook ;-)
Tilebreaker X Free - The free version with about 10 levels.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

The UI guidelines state that the ppi is 169.3.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/22301/BlackBerry_PlayBook_tablet_characteristi...

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
JRab

[ Edited ]

ah well played jffurlan :smileyhappy:

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

JeffLemon wrote:

Oh right, so what resolution would you suggest I make my designs in photoshop?

Jeff, DPI has nothing to do with resolution unless you specify a particular physical size.  The reason Photoshop lets you give DPI is because it can adjust the resolution as required whenever you print or export for a particular device or physical size.

If you're using Photoshop to generate images for the PlayBook, what matters is what dimensions (resolution) they need to be.  If you have no choice but to specify DPI (unlikely), then figure out what actual size (in pixels) you want the images to be, and adjust DPI until they come out that size when you export.

Better yet, ignore DPI and just make sure you force the dimensions to be what you want.  For icons, that's 86x86, with the primary portion in a 77x77 area within that.  For other stuff... that depends on what size you want things to be in your UI, not on any DPI number.

For raster/bitmap images DPI is a property of a physical display on which it will be shown, not of the image itself.  For vector graphics, DPI is a value specified along with physical dimensions in order for a program to calculate the actual pixel resolution required for an exported bitmap.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

[ Edited ]

JRab wrote:

ah well played jffurian :smileyhappy:

Hey, it's about time I gave someone an answer around here instead of just constantly begging for help! lol.

Funny part was I knew I had read it somewhere but couldn't remember if it was on a tech blog or an official statement from BlackBerry. The UI guidelines are a good read though, they actually gave me a lot of good ideas when it comes to laying out your app.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -