Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
friedit
My Device: Not Specified

Re: What were your development experiences

I'm working with AS3 and Flash Builder on a daily basis - so I thought this is agreat opportunity to get a free tablet. Plus I really like to program once and deploy on multiple devices (Playbook, Android, iOS). 

So I finished my two apps in a very short time (each a few days). But it's not all that nice and shiny:

*) The documentation is very poor

*) There were too many inconsistencies - I think the icon size changes three times

*) The vendor signup was too complicated (notary signed form) but is now better than on most other platforms

*) To me it makes absolutely no sense why Blackberry made their own GUI classes. They could have easely build on top of the existing and much more powerfull Spark classes. This is in my eyes the biggest mistake.

*) The approval process takes/took much too long. I had two wait 4 weeks for the first app, and three for the second. 

*) Signing process was/is very difficult. Why do I have to signup again? RIM already has my data from the vendor registration.

Some/most of my issues are already taken care of - so thats a good thing. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
shlomiag
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: none

I had a lot of fun with my game too.

I've had for a long time a nagging urge to do game development, and it seems the world did everything possible to make it easy for me.

Right after I stopped working, I went to a game development convention(pure luck, we don't have many of those here), and after that I found about this offer.

stranger still, I've found another job and will start working this Monday, just a few days after I submit my app and the offer expired.

Implementing the game dev turned out to be not so easy, as somehow even though I'm not working, I don't have time to do any work.

Luckily, I finished my app a full day before the offer expired.

Regarding flash, it's very nice and you can do cool things with. I think the flash builder help is almost useless if you're in a beginner level like me, so I had to figure everything from scratch.

Hopefully my app is approved, maybe I will be able to do some more nice things with flash

approved apps:
Have a Nice Day!
ABCs
Please use plain text.
Contributor
FuzzDog
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

My story is just like many others. I was always interested in making mobile apps but had never gotten fully into it. When I was younger I made a small flash game in AS2 just for fun and to see what I could achieve. A while later I looked at developing for iPhone and android but you needed a mac to dev for the iPhone and android wasn't making devs much money at the time so I didn't bother. I learnt about adobe air when browsing on the web around the time of the adobe max conference where the playbook was shown. The playbook didn't catch my interest at first but I was really excited that I would be able to create iPhone and android apps with one source code and with flash, something I had a little experience with at least. So I started learning the ropes of AS3 and got started on a phone app until I heard about the playbook  promotion. Once I heard about getting a free playbook I ditched the phone app and dived straight in to making the best playbook app ever but after about a week and having not made as much progress as I had hoped on the awesome app I decided to do something that would be a bit quicker to make sure I still got a playbook, then I could work on the awesome app. For the core of my app I actually just used the code from a Visual Basic program I had made with some clever find and replaces to get the syntax right. After that I still pent quite a but of time implementing QNX components, skinning the UI and making it all look nice. I had it ready in the middle of January, the month the first deadline ended. The vendor approval process took a lot longer than I expected. I actually thought that I would probably be able to sign up and submit my app in one night. In the end I didn't submit my app until the start of March because I took such a long time to organise a notary to finally get vendor approval. Signing was also a massive pain in the bit. What I had anticipated as a 10 minute job in the afternoon ended up taking me into the early hours of the morning, there were so many bugs and little annoying things and I have this forum to thank for all of its useful posts that gave me clues and finally helped me get it signed (even though I wasn't posting at the time). Finally, after a nervous wait my app, Tennis Scorer was approved but it was another nervous 3 days before I finally got the form asking me to order my playbook. I can't wait to finish working on all my other playbook app ideas and maybe in the future I'll port them to other platforms as well. Thank you if you read this wall of text but I won't blame you if you post tl;dr underneath it.

TheWakeUpCall

Just for future reference for you regarding point 4. You can create the GUI in Flash, one of the best vector graphics programs on the planet, and then export this. Therefore your GUI can be made completely visually in next to no time at all.

This isn't immediately obvious but I've been doing Flash for a few years now and guessed it would be because all of the Flash products are interlinked, and so I looked it up and I wasn't wrong.

If anyone is interested, you create your GUI in flash, put all of your GUI in a movieclip giving everything instance names and then export the flash as a SWC file. You can then include this in your flash builder project. This even allows you to do fancy animation and stuff.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FuzzDog

@TheWakeUpCall

Can you use QNX UI components when creating a GUI in Flash?

TheWakeUpCall

Most likely not, but I would imagine if you put a standard Movieclip in place in flash, in the flash builder code you can add QNX objects with the position of the other movieclip. Or just make a note of where you want the QNX stuff to go and add it in the code. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TheWakeUpCall

Although thinking about it. The QNX stuff is just in SWC libraries... so you can probably import them in Flash and use them in there too. So actually, I reckon you might be able to if you import the libraries for QNX.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
FuzzDog

Actually, as an experiment to see if I could easily port my app I did manage to import the correct QNX SWCs but I could only use the components through code, ie I couldn't drag and drop buttons to design the GUI visually. Do you have any suggestions?
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

I am mostly a Linux kernel developer. I have some experience with android but not much. About the time I was thinkng of learning something new, I came across this offer. All this time i was under the impression that Adobe = { Photoshop, Primier, Flash } never knew somethign called Actionscript or Flex even existed(go figure).

When I started looking around I was amazed to see a whole new world out there that just skipped my radar.. the more I learnt about Flex, AS3, Tweening the more I got sucked in... and there began my journey.

I started to experiment with example/samples that people have posted..and eventually was in a position to write a game app(Apple Catch)..something i was too familiar as I had written it back in my school days using a microcontroller and Oscilloscope as the display.

Then came webworks..that was so easy to pack HTML, CSS, JS.. 

I am very interested in the native support as well. With so many options that are easy to pickup and plenty of support to get started, I think I am going to be stuck here for a long time :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
TheWakeUpCall

FuzzDog wrote:
Actually, as an experiment to see if I could easily port my app I did manage to import the correct QNX SWCs but I could only use the components through code, ie I couldn't drag and drop buttons to design the GUI visually. Do you have any suggestions?

If it's not in your library or the components panel I have no clue. I'm sure there will be a way to get the QNX stuff on the screen though. Maybe Google movieclips from SWC flash view on stage or something.

Please use plain text.