Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
nwgarner
My Device: Not Specified

Which Flash Builder to use?

[ Edited ]

I'm just getting started on a Tablet AIR application and have Flash Builder 4 installed and running in trail mode fine. I've run through the HelloWorld example in the Blackberry documents and got it deployed to the simulator just fine as well. I then started the project that will be the actual submitted project.  A port of an app I have for sale for iPhone/iPad, Android and WP7.

While running through the Development guide, I implemented the various methods for activate, deactivate and low memory.  I'm having an issue with "Definition qnx:events could not be found", same error for qnx:system. However, I do see it as part of the SDK as listed under Flex Build Path -> Build path libraries under Project properties.  I came here to find a solution and did for someone using FB 4.5 Burrito. 

My question is, before I get too deep in this FB 4.1, should I go ahead and run Burrito 4.5 Preview instead since we'll all be there eventually anyway?  I don't have any money invested in this and being an individual developer, no company backing, the cost of FB is hard to swallow.  I'd rather start with something that's going to last me a while.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

Nick

Regular Contributor
Rossman

Re: Which Flash Builder to use?

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on this.

From my perspective using Burrito is not an option as Adobe clearly states is it not to be used for production code, only for testing/experimentation.

So, our company will stay with FB 4.0.1 to develop the first release of our Playbook application.  We will re-assess when Burrito gets closer to a firm release date.

New Contributor
nwgarner

Since posting this two minutes ago I've fixed my import problem by changing the lines from

import qnx.events;
import qnx.system;

to

import qnx.system.*;
import qnx.events.*;

and the project builds fine now.

But, back to the original question.  Do I go with an Actionscript Mobile app in Burrito or stick with Flex Project in 4.1?

Thanks,

Nick

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I've been using FB4 for sometime and it works just fine.  This was an upgrade from Flex Builder 3.x (which was a upgrade from Flex Builder 2.x, and so on) and the transition was OK.  Once 4.5 is not a "preview" release, I will consider upgrading to that depending on the upgrade price.  I typically dont like to be a tester on IDEs since it is so central in my day to day operation.

In terms of price, you have to determine on your own the level of development you plan on doing with BB and Android.  It is an investment, but if you dont have a product plan and a strategy in re-cooping your costs and effort, then go free and cheap with your development environment.

Regular Contributor
L7ColWinters
My Device: Android Droid Incredible

Regardless of which IDE you choose, they both have the same flaw that when you have to many images or files in your workspace the IDE refuses to package the bar file. 4.5 does have the mobile application and I would have to say that developing in 4.5 would probably be the way to go to familiarize yourself with the Hero framework. So the best of the two evils is 4.5.

Developer
dooglehead
My Device: Playbook

If you happen to be a student or are unemployed, it is possible to get flash builder 4 for free.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet-archive/flex/free/?sdid=GXVTO&PID=4485850

Regular Contributor
Rossman

[ Edited ]

@L7ColWinters: Why are you including so many loose images?  If this is a problem, just package them into a SWC, that's probably a better way to go away as you will get code complete and not have to have a bunch of [Embed] tags throughout your code.

@dooglehead: Yeah, and if you get that version, you can then further upgrade to Flash Builder Standard for only $99.  A steal, really.

Developer
jtegen

@dooglehead:  I believe you cannot produce commercial applications from this version.  It is meant to learn or keep your skills sharp.

Developer
dooglehead
My Device: Playbook

I use that version (I am a student), and used it to create my playbook app.

Developer
jtegen

I'm not saying that you physically cant, what I recall is that the license says that you should not without violating the license.  How Adobe enforces that is anyones guess.