Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

Which applications are killer apps for the playbook?

Don't say angry birds :smileywink:

I'm thinking about the neccessary apps which will make the playbook a success. We are facing different target groups, and every group has its own interests. IMO the developers are the most important, even more important than the consumers. After the launch it should be, of course, the consumer. But  to attract consumers there should be a large number of apps. There the developer comes back into game, because developers will automatically develop applications they regard as usefull or funny.

For me it is important that I can make changes at some projects on the road (or better at the train). I could carry my notebook around (13.3" so its ok) but the playbook could be an alternative to it.

So a presentation software would be great, or a FTP client, or (most important) a tiny code editor.

Which app would be in your interest? And what kind of app do you think will be import to the consumer.

cheers

p.s.: I'm not afraid talking about app ideas, because it needs time to build the apps. and an idea is just an idea. no finished app.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Which applications are killer apps for the playbook?

I'd say a VNC client could be extremely useful (With wake-on-LAN).

A good video/audio player would be nice (VLC anyone?).

Honestly I'd love an IDE for the PlayBook on the PlayBook, even an idea for other things, like a "Dreamweaver for PlayBook". Suprisingly there aren't many apps for this even on the 'i' devices.

Communications apps, particularily IM, a 'Trillian'-like app would be very nice (i.e supporting AIM, MSN, Skype etc.).

Just throwing some ideas around. I have some more but I was saving them. I suppose there's not much downside to sayying them here if I'm not going to sell them though.

Please use plain text.
Developer
chall3ng3r
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE
My Carrier: UfonePK

[ Edited ]

I recently read that RIM will be adding USB Host support. So, there will be possibility for using your regular USB Mouse or Keyboard. This will be the one of the most killer feature of PlayBook which Android and iDevices (i guess iPad allows BT KB) not really focusing.

Combine this with a nicely done text / code editor using native SDK, bingo!

For me, tablets are like regular notebooks, but with a little limitations for better portability and extended battery life. Adding support for add-on mouse/kb will allow the tablet to be used in real business or productivity situations.

I think PlayBook is heading in right direction from the start. Very well done RIM!

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post :smileyhappy:
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001

I really hope that's true! What about USB flashdrives? If that's possible could I plug in my <insert USB-enabled mobile device here> into it to transfer files back and forth? What about using it to charge your phone? Definitely some awesome potential there!

Please use plain text.
Developer
chall3ng3r
My Device: PlayBook 16GB + Z10 LE
My Carrier: UfonePK

Yes, of course, USB flash drives will be another option.

Nokia recently added support for mouse, KB and flash drives in N8, E7 and similar devices. So, why can't RIM enable full fleged support of USB Host?

I have experimented a bit with QNX few years ago, before RIM bought them. QNX really supports all this stuff, and whole lot more. I hope RIM will continue to expose more options in PlayBook over time.

// chall3ng3r //

--
- Our PlayBook Apps: IdeaPad | EasyCrop | Popcornia
- Free Icon Maker for BlackBerry PlayBook developers | 5900+ icons created and counting
- A Kudo is appreciated if you like my post :smileyhappy:
- My post soveld the problem? Please click Accept as Solution.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001

So far it sounds like the only thing that's missing is infrared. And the only thing that I find that useful for is to use it as a remote control. It would be neat if it had that to make the tablet into a complete media center + control. But I suppose a 3rd party could always make a USB one for it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

I think there will be one, that uses bluetooth.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Developer
Kai001

@Irrm: A bluetooth infrared transmitter?

Please use plain text.
Developer
berryawesome

[ Edited ]

@Kai001, we all really hope it's true. And VNC would be sweet indeed. 

I would like to see a collaboration app that ties into a messenger/messaging client to allow exchange or BBM users to work on any document together in real time. Kinda like what Wave was supposed to be but specifically targeted at a blackberry audience.

To be quite honest, I'm not very concerned about what apps ship with the unit. Considering all the SDKs (including the native one that's coming) there will be a plethora of apps to choose from in no time.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Fart App ofcourse.... :smileyhappy:    Naa just kidding.

To me a good video conferencing app will be a killer app. I'd also like USB host support.

Please use plain text.