Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: While we wait for shipping info

benjismith that looks awesome! I did the same thing to kill time and started my own site, but as you can see below I still have a lot of work left!

http://jffurlan.com

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
Wingflap
My Device: Bold 9650 and Playbook 16gb
My Carrier: Sprint

I went to Staples to check out the Playbook since mine probably won't ship until this coming week.  I want to have a screen protector here when my Playbook arrives especially since all of the demo Playbooks I've seen are already covered in smudges and fingerprints.  Staples doesn't have them in yet, but they did have the leather folder and the 'convertable' case, the quick charger and the charging dock.

I picked up the Playbook and did a swip up and there it was.  It was quick and nice.  Next, I clicked on the browser icon.  Browser came up, Progress bar started..loading...loading...connection timeout!  So I went to wifi settings...yada...yada...yada...Staples wifi hotspot doesn't work!  The sales guy knew nothing about the Playbook.  Same story others are reporting.

I asked him to ask his manager to go back and reset the hotspot and after a little confusion and anxiety, he did.  And there was the Playbook live and in person for the first time for me.  I was initially a little put off by the size since I'm used to the simulator on my laptop.  It was tough to get a feel for it since it was pretty much chained down with their security cables.  As soon as I opened the browser, and had a full screen, it looked fine.  Typing in portrait was a true Blackberry experience.  In portrait, it's a little small, but I can type on it while it's lying on a flat surface like I would on a portable quwerty.  It was cramped but not bad.

While playing with it, I noticed that the battery icon changed from charging to not a few times.  I straightened the micro-usb charger and the charging icon came back.  It concerns me that a 5-day old floor demo was perhaps experiencing a loose contact.  So I'm adding the cradle charger to my wish list.  It will give me a quicker charge, but also, not put added wear on the micro-usb port.  The only problem with the charger is that it's form fitted, so you can't charge while it's in a case.

I was thinking of just a skin case and screen protector to make it very portable.  If I have to take the skin off in order to charge it, it might be a hassle.  I'm kind of liking the 'convertible' case because even though it has some additional bulk, it's padded, and has a front flap for added protection.  But the Playbook quickly snaps in and out of it because the housing is more like a hard-shell case than a rubbery skin.

Since Staples didn't have the screen protector, I went to Best Buy.  They were slightly more knowledgable than Staples, plus they had the Invisible Shield.  I went to their Playbook for round 2 of playing.  Theirs needed an OS upgrade which they didn't run.  I decided to check out AppWorld.  And there was my app!  I downloaded it, took a deep breath, clicked the Icon, and there was my data usage warning.  I clicked OK, then accepted my own terms, and there it was.  <geek>There's something really fun about seeing your app on a device in a store that always feels good.</geek>

I played around with it, then, holding my breath, I rotated the Playbook into portrait mode.  Whoosh!  There it was rotated and proportionally correct.  My nightmare was rotation being different on the device than the simulator.  My FAQ scrolled smoothly, my screens tweened smoothly, and all was good.  The only glitch I noticed was a textbox keeping focus after clicking the 'ask' button.  When the textbox has the focus, tapping it does not bring up the keyboard.

I bought the Invisible Shield, grabbed a 6-foot micro-HDMI cable, headed home, fixed the textbox focus, and am thinking about which case to get.  I've got another app whose development had lost steam during the whole release frenzy.  Since I now know that my app looks and feels the way I had hoped on the actual device, I'm not as stressed about receiving my Playbook.

I'd highly recommend each of you to get out to a store, download your app (if it's free), and give it a whirl.  It will make the next few days much more productive, I think.:smileywink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Approved Apps: Barry Black

Loving my new Playbook!
Please use plain text.
Developer
ajerman
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: AT&T

Wingflap wrote:

I'd highly recommend each of you to get out to a store, download your app (if it's free), and give it a whirl.  It will make the next few days much more productive, I think.:smileywink:

I wanted to do this too, but the Staples I went to on launch day wasn't activated. Might have to try to Best Buy at lunch today.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
alexbob1318
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Telstra Australia

[ Edited ]

It's a little bit disappointing with RIM & TMG right now. I know these a free devices etc, and we should be happy, but I really want to do testing for my app before I release it, as do many other developers. They've made a lot of promises that haven't been as true as they could (eg. 'we're shipping 22nd' changes to 'starting to ship 22nd and it'll take time'). It would've been much better to ship to everyone on the same day.

I've emailed TMG because I'm going away later this week and won't be able to sign for my PlayBook when (and if) it comes, and I'm at least asking for an estimate so I can ask a friend to sign for it or something, but haven't had a response yet.

Still, better than Apple in the end.

Please use plain text.
Developer
tags07
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

Sorry but could you please stop all these rants abt not rxing the Playbooks. There are folks who will not get their device till end of this week..perhaps next week. The key thing to note is that TMG is working hard on this, even worked on Saturday.

Keep testing on the simulator...imagine that you will not get the device till next week and you will be surprised.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
alexbob1318
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Telstra Australia

benjismith I agree, does look really good! Really matches the product.
Please use plain text.