Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
dkerr
My Device: Playbook

Will Adobe Flex Mobile apps be approved?

There are three ways to build apps for Blackberry in Flash Builder Burrito.

1) Multi-Screen Multi-Device pure Flex Mobile

like Adobe is demoing here ...

http://coenraets.org/blog/2010/12/flex-mobile-trader-application-running-on-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-a...

2) pure QNX library using Blackberry SDK.

3) some after market hybrid/library/hack that does both.

All are optimized for mobile.  Christophe's just works both on Android AND Blackberry.  But they may not have the exact Playbook experience for the user as other Playbook apps do.

My question is: Will #1 type apps be approved for App World.  i.e. can Christophe's Flex Mobile Trader be approved as is, since Air output the bar file in additional to the apk?  

I'm not debating pros and cons of each here. I just want to know if #1 meets the guidelines to be approved.

Thanks,

Don

Don Kerr
Manager, Space City Adobe User Group
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Re: Will Adobe Flex Mobile apps be approved?

You will have to recompile it against the BlackBerry SDK.

However RIM has indicated that they do not care what components you use to build the application.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
New Developer
dkerr

Really?

Great.  This is exactly why I'm asking Blackberry here, not Adobe.

In all the examples I've seen by Adobe, they use the Flex Hero SDK.  See Christophes examples and this new one today

http://blog.everythingflex.com/2010/12/09/build-a-multiscreen-androidblackberry-application-in-10-mi...

Flash Builder Burrito Flex Mobile Project requires you to select Hero SDK and it puts the entire Blackberry SDK in a Referenced Library.  It still outputs the Blackberry bar file, but you have to compile with Hero.

Even though the Blackberry SDK is in the SDK config list, you are not given the option to use it in the complier screen when you're in a Flex Mobile Project.

Sounds like Adobe may need to clarify this and make it an option and update their evangelist's examples to show selecting BB SDK first.

I've asked Christophe this question on his Blog, but no response yet.

Thanks,

Don

Don Kerr
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com
New Developer
dkerr

Glad my question was answered very clearly by team Adoberry yesterday!  Great job guys.  So, Flex Mobile apps will be approved as long as they meet the BB guidelines.

But, there are still tradeoffs between Multi-device Air apps and writing separate apps using the various native frameworks.

Tony had a great blog post that is well written on the subject ... check it out!

http://savagelook.com/blog/android/mobile-development-native-vs-adobe-air/comment-page-1#comment-832

Good points about AS developers missing out on what Flex Mobile benefits.  And, good points for using pure QNX.

My hope is that there will be tighter integration of the Flex Mobile Hero SDK and Blackberry's AS3 SDK in the future. 

Don Kerr
Houston, Tx
www.spacecityaug.com