Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile USA

access_internet Permission

Hey guys -

Read a couple of comments in another thread about permissions (and noticed them when creating my blackberry-tablet.xml).  My app uses the internet (flash.net) and goes through fine on the sim.  Do I need to include access_internet in the blackberry-tablet.xml?  I originally thought I wouldn't because

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/23959/Configuring_your_application_1524626_11....

has no API listed for the access_internet category - but someone mentioned that the bad review of GeeReader being unusable might have been due to the lack of permission.  Anyone know if I need to include this?

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony
http://www.anthonyquarella.com
Accepted Apps: UpToDateTV
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: access_internet Permission

hey antonyq,

yes if you are planning on using the user's net connection at any time, you should include the access_internet permission in the blackberry-tablet.xml or else your app will not function properly. the sim is not a 100% replica of the device and its functionality as it stands today. hope that clears things up. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile USA

Thanks, JRab!!  Now lets hope this release gets approved just as quickly as I can update it.....

Anthony
http://www.anthonyquarella.com
Accepted Apps: UpToDateTV
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Not Avaliable

Hey Guys

I am still waiting for my application to make it way out of the demo house. Aprroved but still waiting for official release status.

My App connects to soundcloud and uses features such as SharedObject to store user favourites, plays audio and also connects to the internet. Do I need to resubmit my blackberry-xml file with relevent permission tags? Has anyone been denied because the tablet-xml did not have the permission tags? Should I submit version 1.4 of my app to fix these issues? Should I just wait for official word?

best

Mitch Ellis

MELLISdesigns

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

mellisdesigns wrote:

Hey Guys

I am still waiting for my application to make it way out of the demo house. Aprroved but still waiting for official release status.

My App connects to soundcloud and uses features such as SharedObject to store user favourites, plays audio and also connects to the internet. Do I need to resubmit my blackberry-xml file with relevent permission tags? Has anyone been denied because the tablet-xml did not have the permission tags? Should I submit version 1.4 of my app to fix these issues? Should I just wait for official word?

best

Mitch Ellis

MELLISdesigns

Hello,

what is the version of the SDK you used to build your app. bar file ?

JC
Contributor

I used the Blackberry Playbook SDK 0.4

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

I guess you mean 0.9.4. In that case, option for internet access is needed.

Try to run your app. in your simulator with no internet access: if it doesn't work properly, your app. will probably be denied (in that case, you should resubmit with correct parameter in bb.xml config file).

JC
Contributor

Ok if I run it in the BB sim, without the parameters, it does what expected, I have made my app display the splash screen, only until it loads the page, the splashscreen is removed. Thus, with no internet, the splash screen stays on the users screen.

It looks like the QNX browser had its own style of tryagain page if no internet connection was found.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@mellisdesigns, I would add play_audio and access_internet and resubmit.  You should not need to do anything about using SharedObject.  The implication that "access_shared" is required for that was apparently a mistake, as it is required only for access (read or write) to the shared/ folders, where media, documents, etc are stored.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Hey @peter9477

I decided to do a resubmission just in case. Not sure I could handle a second rejection letter. I decided to add the three permissions to the blackberry-tablet.xml file just to be on the safe side. In the furture there could be chance that the app could allow you to download the mp3 version of the song you are listening to, thus, having the ability to save to your music folder on the tablet is kind of cool.

I even went further and created a Fail Snail screen if no internet connection can be detected, just to be on the safe side.

FailSnailSmall.jpg

Thanks for all the help

Regards

Mitch Ellis

MELLISdesigns