Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
illuzioner
My Device: BB Tour
Accepted Solution

app won't launch with simulator

Hi,

I've encountered a bunch of errors while trying to get this deployed on the simulator, most of them addressed by other posters.  I'm using the 0.9.3 Beta simulator version.

However, now I have this issue I can't find the answer to. 

Flash Builder doesn't launch the app.  The following appears in the console:

Using default icon: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4\sdks\blackberry-tablet-sdk-0.9.2\bin\..\samples\icons\blackberry-tablet-default-icon.png
Package created: C:\Development\Mobile\PuzzletsPlaybook/PromoAppPlaybook.bar
Picked up JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS: -Xmx1024M
Sending Install and Launch request...
Error: Username or password is invalid or not specified or time on the device is out of sync

I have tried this setting FB to use the Playbook password, and not to use it, and both ways fail.

How do I fix this?  The Playbook has to have a pw, but I can't launch my app.

Also, I'm using VM Player as the simulator host, should the Playbook be running in the simulator or is it launched by FB?  I've tried it both ways to no avail.

Thanks!

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: app won't launch with simulator

hey,

it seems that you are using the newer sim but older SDK. try updating your Tablet OS AIR SDK and then try deploying again. using mismatched versions has led to errors in the past.

here is the link to the newest SDK:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tablet/adobe.jsp

good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer
illuzioner

Thank you for the reply.  It's curious since I had updated both, but I guess my SDK was still a bit behind.

Just a simple question:  Do our apps need an exit button or is something on the Playbook?

Thanks!

Developer
JRab

[ Edited ]

hey,

it is not required that your app have an exit button. users are able to exit your application by swiping up from the bottom bezel and "minimize" your app. after that the user can exit out simply by swiping (or flicking) your minimized app up or (maybe) clicking the close button. i say maybe on the close button because i've seen some videos with and without it on minimized apps. this will be standard for all apps so im not worried about putting a specific button into my app. hope that helps! good luck!

btw did you get your original problem solved? i wasnt sure if you had figured out how to update your SDK.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer
dooglehead
My Device: Playbook

[ Edited ]

To close apps, you swipe up from the bezel.  Then you would either swipe up again or click the "x" in the upper-right corner of the minimized app.

Edit: nevermind.  I see that JRab just answered that for you. :smileytongue:

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I have exit buttons on all my apps, but I plan to revisit that once I get the PB and see how it really feels in closing apps that way.  I'm not tight for real estate, but future enhancement may need that space.

New Developer
illuzioner

Thank you, yes, reinstalling the SDK fixed the issue.  It took multiple installs on both the SDK and the simulator, but at last it works.

Thanks again!

Developer
JRab

ahh glad you got it working. a lot of people (me included) got stuck after installing over an older SDK version. there's an extra step required when updating so wasnt sure. good luck with the rest of your development!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

JRab wrote:

i say maybe on the close button because i've seen some videos with and without it on minimized apps.

Actually the close widget has probably been on all the apps you've seen, but you just didn't notice that in some builds (the more recent ones maybe?) they moved it down so it's appended to the app title, below the bitmap, instead of overlaid in the upper right corner of the bitmap.  It's probably better that way as it won't obscure the image at all.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
JRab

hey peter,

i've actually seen them near the bottom of the app, but they stopped using them after a while and just flick up nowadays. i assumed they might have did away with it so wasnt sure. the little 'x' is hard to make out i guess haha

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--