Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: application icon 86x86

Lol, I never saw any 480x480 icons in App World, but I probably missed it.

However, I designed mine as more of an ad - it has my app name and a screenshot along with a couple other pics in the background. I just felt 480x480 would have meant a lot of wasted space for just an icon. Think this is a problem?
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555
My Device: Not Specified

@jffurlan:  > Lol, I never saw any 480x480 icons in App World, but I probably missed it.

On the vendor portal, it said very clear, the icon will be scale down to show on App World.

I think they want us to give an icon of 480x480, big enough to allow scale down to any size.

( ex. Today, they decide to scale down to 70x70 to show on App World, who knows, tomorrow, they may decide update App World web site, and all application icon will show as 200x200 )

---------------------
a) If you like my response/post, please provide a Kudo (white star to the left).
b) If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Also, what they show/size on the website App World and what they show/size in the PB App World application might be totally different.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

@T55555, that makes sense about the scaling - thanks!
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

With the release of 1.0, there's an updated docs page on Designing application icons.

Note especially the sample image, which apparently represents an 86x86 icon, with a 77x77 region shown with a white outline and bottom-aligned, with a 2-pixel margin below it.

The accompanying text describes that nuance, which was never clear in the past.

Can anyone who has an actual tablet please take a look at the system icons, and possibly some of the third-party ones, and compare them against this image and the guidelines page, and confirm or clarify for us.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
PBDev
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

peter9477 wrote:

With the release of 1.0, there's an updated docs page on Designing application icons.

Note especially the sample image, which apparently represents an 86x86 icon, with a 77x77 region shown with a white outline and bottom-aligned, with a 2-pixel margin below it.

The accompanying text describes that nuance, which was never clear in the past.

Can anyone who has an actual tablet please take a look at the system icons, and possibly some of the third-party ones, and compare them against this image and the guidelines page, and confirm or clarify for us.

I don't have an actual device yet but I just verified that the browser icon on the simulator is 77x70 with a 2-pixel margin under it.

Please use plain text.