Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

appname-debug shows in simulator

I did a search on the forums but couldn't really find anything, so I was wondering if anyone else using Burrito has run into this problem.

Basically, I give my app a name in the -app.xml file, but when I run it to the simulator the name shows up as the name of my app-debug. So I named my app Pocket Food Photography, but it shows as Pocket Food Photography-debug. Is there a way to remove the debug part of the name? When I submit my app I don't want it to say debug at the end.

This is my second app but the first one I created and submitted was done in Flash Builder 4, and I didn't run into this problem.

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: appname-debug shows in simulator

hey alex,

since flash builder burrito came out, it adds a -debug to the end of your app name when you are in the process of debugging it. it will remove the -debug add on once you export it for release build. so it wont appear in the final production version of your app.

so for now you just have to live with it through the debugging phase. after you release it for production, the -debug will be removed. hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer

Hey JRab,

Thanks for the quick response and for the info.

One more question. Does that mean it will show until I sign the app, which won't be until later on? Meaning the version I would submit now would keep the -debug ending?

Thanks again!

My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer

hey alex,

not a problem! and no, you do not have to sign it to remove the -debug extension. it will be removed as long as you do the Project > Export Release Build process, even if you dont sign it.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

New Developer

Thanks so much JRab!

You are awesome. I'm pretty sure that's like the third time you've helped me with something on here.Smiley Happy

Developer

haha thanks man. thats what we're here for Smiley Happy

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

Hello guys,

I encountered a problem with FB Project > Export Release Build process, it looks like there is too many attached files in the project.

So removing file after file, I found the limit around 50 files, with some strange errors during the process:

-"empty" error message (this is the first error I got)

-"blackberry-airpackager.bat" was unexpected at this time (with a little more than the ~50 limit)

It looks we are back to the BB SDK 0.9.0 problem... (and I checked that the bar file I try to generate is done using the packager from BB SDK 0.9.3, as displayed in the manifest result file).

As workaround, I generated the bar file using FB, NOT including the attached files,

then, add the file manually in the bar file. And deploy normaly to the simulator. It looks ok.

But I would like to use command lines only, and so the question is raised again: how to get rid of the "app-debug" name when packaging the app, using command line ?

JC
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Acenet wrote:

As workaround, I generated the bar file using FB, NOT including the attached files,

then, add the file manually in the bar file. And deploy normaly to the simulator. It looks ok.

Note that this is unlikely to have actually worked properly.  That is, all files that are added to the .bar file using the regular packager will have a "hash" value (roughly a digital signature) added to the meta/manifest.mf file in the .bar.  If you add a file manually, it will not have the hash, and the overall package will not have the correct hash, and at the very least I believe the added file is likely to be ignored.  It may even be that the whole .bar will be rejected when you try to install, on the real device.  I also expect that an app built this way would not get approval by RIM.

The simple answer to how to get the app-debug name out, when using the command line, is to edit the application.xml file.  The part that's displayed as the app name below its icon should be whatever is in the <name> entry.  Edit that to remove the "-debug" part, then repackage and deploy.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: -

Hello Peter,

yes, of course, the manifest is missing the added files.

Actually it works fine on the Simulator, so I can have a clean Simulator. But I agree with you, for publishing, I need a clean packaging

I tried in the first place the renaming of node <name> in myApp-app.xml file (removing "-debug"), but this doesn't work, app. is still displayed as "myApp-debug" in the simulator.

So I'm still looking for the correct command line....

JC
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Try uninstalling the old version first?  Then if you reinstall this modified .bar with the fixed name, and it still shows up with -debug, you know to look elsewhere...

Alternatively, try a couple of bottom-swipes in the simulator at the Home Screen.  There's a bug in the simulator which results in the icon not being updated properly sometimes.  (Actually, I don't think I've ever seen it not update the name, but sometimes the icon doesn't even appear at first... consider this idea a long-shot.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!