Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

auto updating apps

I am used to building desktop AIR apps with auto updating capabilities. When there is a required update, the new version is auto installed seamlessly with zero interaction.

Is there any way to achieve this here?

If it must be manually done, what if a purchased app has a free upgrade?

Scenario: A User buys the app. Two weeks later improvements to the app are made and a new version is posted. How exactly does the User get the new version for free while any other Users, who have not yet purchased it, cannot.

Also, is it up to the app developer to have in place a way to notify the User that a new version is available or does BB app world handle this automatically? Checks for new version and notifies the User.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: auto updating apps

hey dachflach,

the current state of App World is inconvenient for most develoeprs. even before the new update rolled in developers had problems keeping track of who downloaded their software and basic information like that because app world stores all that data and only provides minimal statistics to the vendors. app world has more control over app distribution than the developer does. at least thats how its been in the past. no telling what things will change as the playbook will roll out.

that being said previously updating an app  required you to submit a new update via the vendor portal and you could not stream line updates like you would on a normal software on a desktop. also when you do submit a new update into app world, app world pushes out a notification to the user via their phones that there is an update available for their software.

previously app world did not have ability to accept coupons for deals and sales like on third party sites. however according to the webinars they are slowing making it possibly soon.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

Okay, well, at least they notify the User of the new version.

But I still do not know how  or if   the new version is made available for free to current owners and not to others.

Developer

hey,

yeah the current system the way it is set up does not give give two types of licenses for the same update. so either its everyone has to pay or everyone gets it for free. it'll be interesting if they change this policy.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer

Just to be sure i understand what you are saying..

A User would have to pay again to get the update?  Whoa

Developer

hey,

sorry for the confusion. to clarify when the vendor submits a new release it is up to the vendor's discretion whether the consumer has to pay for the upgrade. You get the option for buy or free. if you choose free its free for everyone not just select users. if you select buy it will cost for every user not just a select few. now this applies to upgrades meaning from version 2 -> version 3.

here is an excerpt from the vendor faq. and when they refer to the COD file i assume they will change that to BAR files as well:

1. What’s the application submission fee used for?
    Note: a promotion is currently running that allows vendors to bypass the $200 submission fee.

There’s a $200 USD administration fee to complete registration and submit applications. If your account isn’t approved, the $200 USD administration fee will be refunded.
    • The initial fee will allow 10 application submissions:
      • Multiple versions of the same application won’t count as separate submissions (example: an application might have a version for the BlackBerry Storm smartphone and the BlackBerry Bold smartphone).
      • An update to your application, resulting in a submission of new cod files, will be counted against your 10 application submissions.
      • Resubmission of a rejected application will be counted against your 10 application submissions.
      • Removal of an application won’t affect your remaining balance of application submissions.
    • If you’ve used all 10 application submissions, an additional $200 USD administration fee will be applied on your next submission, adding another 10 possible application submissions to your account.
    So if they charge you to put in a new update im going to assume its up to you to decide whether or not you will charge the end consumer.
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--