Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

bad reviews due to lack of apps?

Of all the reviews that are out there, the biggest complaint everyone has is the lack of apps that are available. This link is just one example:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/tech-news/rims-playbook-gets-tough-early-reviews/arti...

I'm pretty sure RIM could've anticipated this, but they still didn't feel the need to get out the PlayBook's to developers early enough? They're still saying they are going to ship them "soon". It should've been in our hands already, but all they can say is they're shipping soon.

I love RIM and BlackBerry, and I see the PlayBook as being a relevant tablet, but I think they should be doing more to get the developers their tablets so we can fully test our apps and push them out. I'm sure there are a tonne of apps that have been approved that haven't been posted for sale because people are waiting for testing. This could've been avoided. Its not like they couldn't get us our devices sooner; many people have had them for weeks now.

I just hope they can get them to us ASAP so we can test and fix our apps, and push them all out to prove the negative reviews wrong. And please, keep working on the apps guys! This is a great community of very talented people, and we owe it to RIM to do our best to help them catch up in the app race.

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: bad reviews due to lack of apps?

Meh, what can you do the general public and news media seem to have  hard on for anything Apple right now.(and the past while)When they write about their devices they constantly over look and reject obvious flaws with the devices. No one else gets the same deal. I mean look at that HTML 5 hype that seems to have died off now, most people who were writing about it don't even know what a <strong> tag does.  

Complaining about lack of apps is kind of sillyy. If they expected 2 bagillion apps to be available for them to play on while "reviewing" the tablet they likely shouldn't have been given it to review in the first place. The thing isn't even realeased yet and these guys are  complaining about lack of developed software vs something that can pull from a market that has existed for years. Besides last i checked they were supposed to review the device not angry birds blackberry...

With any luck playbook will pull it out starting with businesses hoping on board to get the device some visibility. I wouldn't develop for only 1 device though. Cross platform is where it's at.

Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)

the question is not how many apps are in the app world, it's the question how high the quality level of the apps is. how many apps can you install on your device? how many apps can you use? thats the point and I think RIM has done it's best to get the initial quality level and the coverage of really neccessary apps (except the *!#""&% email client) as good as possible.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Having the device, for the most part, is not needed to create more apps.  It's good for testing for things like GPS, accelerometer, etc. (even that there are better methods for testing)  But you can test 95% in AIR and 99% in the simulator.  All this panic about apps not working without having the device is a little over-reaching.  We'll have the device within a few weeks.  In the mean time, dont wait -- just create.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Have to say that having worked with RIM products for some time I expected the negative reviews. To be honest the more balanced reviews out there were actually pretty positive about the device itself.

I'm not sure how it works, but I get the impression that expectations are manipulated in this market.

For example, why are apps so important? I've actually seen people write that without an app based of 200,000 they're not interested in a device, but that is ridiculous.

And does it really matter that the device doesn't have an email client? Not for me certainly. I never use an email client except when working at clients.

As long as the device has the apps you need why do you care? I download and buy the occasional app, as do many I guess, but I doubt I've downloaded more than 20 apps in 2 years. I have pretty well everything I could want. Not too many games but enough. Having a few thousand more apps might be nice, but the main thing I want is content.

The other aspect to this is that whereas when Apple release the iPad with a couple of thousand dedicated apps its fantastic. When RIM do the same its a disaster.

Same with the iPhone. Lousy battery life at launch - not a problem. The Playbook was panned on the rumour of poor battery life.

I just don't believe in coincidences. I read somewhere that a number of prominent reviewers and analysts are courted by Apple. It certainly appears that some at least didn't even look at the device but manage to write a negative review.

Personally I feel RIM messed up their marketing on this. Explicitly targeting at enterprise would have generated buzz in the business world (which I've experienced already) and most likely easily have consumed  the initial manufacturing run.

And once the other features were added, RIM could have targeted consumers. Meaning they could launch with expectations managed but with a tantalising glimpse of what was possible entertainment wise with Need for Speed etc.

Developer
My Device: Z10

@alexperri7 -- While I see the point of needing a device for some fo the final testing of our apps, I think it is a little greedy of us to be demanding the shipment of a device that we are already getting for free. What RIM has done for us is with this promotion and waiving of the vendor fees is remove the barriers and give us a strong incentive.

@jtegen -- I agree.  If you get your app working in the simulator and don't have a device to test on, you should go ahead and take the plunge and get your app out there.  Also, not having the device won't stop us from creating. Now, a daytime job, shuttling kids from this to that, and a long honey-do list may just sabotage those creative urges.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Creator of the Idea Catch PlayBook application

My favorite Apple product is apple sauce.
New Developer
My Device: 9700

I think after the first few weeks there will be plenty of apps available.  One review I read said there will be more available at launch than there were for the iPad.

My big beef is with the articles that came out in the last couple months talking about how there are so many ways to develope for the Playbook that developers won't be interested.  What?  I don't know if they are writing that because they don't have a clue as to how software development and developers work or if they have been caught in Steve Jobs reality distortion field and think that choice is bad.

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

Sorry I didn't mean to come off as being greedy. I am very grateful that they are giving us free devices. I just had a few problems in the simulator that would need to be tested on the device, and since my apps are paid apps people wouldn't be forgiving if there were problems with my apps. I just think its in our best interest as well as RIM's to get us our devices asap. People always say we can hold off on posting our apps for sale for now, but we have so much more to gain by having our apps released at launch. That's all I was trying to say.
---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer
My Device: Imaginary Playbook

I'm quite optimistic about the whole situation.

I know quite a lot of talented Flash programmers who know nothing about Objective-C and developing for the iOS. It is piss easy to develop a Flash (Air) app for the Playbook and they will definately appreciate that. We just need to give it some time.

-----------------------------------------------------
My App: Bouncy Ball Clock (with my own physics engine)
https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/37792
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

It might be a good idea to look into a try and buy versions.  Then you are less likely to get angry customers if they have issues with the trial version.  Might be too late for the launch, but just something to consider.