Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
ryantan
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

blackberry-tablet.xml structure

Is the structure for blackberry-tablet.xml documented somewhere? I was thinking this is where I should look into if I want to change the default loading screen. Hope someone can shed some light on this.

cheers,
Ryan
Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: blackberry-tablet.xml structure

Hey ryan,

you cannot change the look of loading page in any manner yet. its going to show up with every load. how ever what you are refering to is the blackberry-tablet.xml and through that you can change what category your application icon shows up in. here's the link to the page information on the XML document:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/21877/Add_icon_to_configuration_file_1374808_1...

here's the structure of the blackberry-tablet.xml document:

<qnx>
  <initialWindow>
    <systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
    <transparent>true</transparent>
  </initialWindow>
  <publisher>Sample Inc.</publisher>
  <category>core.internet</category>
  <icon>
  	<image>your_image.png</image>
  </icon>
</qnx>

good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer
ryantan

Thanks JRab. Yep I got my .xml from the hello world example so the basic structure is there, was hoping for some secret undocumented tags =P

cheers,
Ryan
New Developer
killerspaz

So I've been looking as well, and nothing is yielding any results... That link posted above only really talks about adding an icon... doesn't discuss any of the other nodes in the xml.

What are all the categories? What are all the initialWindow values possible? etc, etc. It'd be nice to have the answers here.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I believe the other nodes are the only ones we've been shown, other than the new splashscreen one that was added in the latest SDK.

As for the other categories, @taylortbb pulled them out of the first simulator's filesystem a while back.

And note that it's core.utils, not core.utilities.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Qnx specific file called blackberry-tablet.xml.

<qnx>
        <initialWindow>
        <systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
        <transparent>true</transparent>
        </initialWindow>
        <icon><image>somencon.png</image></icon>
        <publisher>Bla</publisher>
        <category>core.something</category>
        <env var="A" value="1"/>
        <splashscreen>splash.jpg</splashscreen>
        <permission>use_camera</permission>
         <asset type="Qnf/Elf">my_binary</asset>
</qnx>

• systemChrome - don't know what it means and what values are
  • transparent - make main window transparent, when systemChrome is none
  • image - name of icon for app image, should be 86x86, bigger than 90x90 would not show up
  • publisher - official name of the publishing company or signing account, used for signing
  • category - The category where the application appear. The complete list for now: core.games core.internet core.media core.utils
  • env (multiple allowed) - set environment variable for the process
  • splashscreen - set the splashscreen (in the default app orientation)
  • permission (multiple allowed) - set permission that user would be asked to approve
  • asset - set asset type, not used now
Developer
jffurlan
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

What is an env variable?
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
peter9477

@jffurlan, Wikipedia has your answer (first hit in Google).

Without further documentation on which environment variables may have any meaning to an AIR app, they likely have no particular value to us.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Wow, this will be interesting when more information about these new tags become available.  Especially permissions and environment variables (assuming unix environment variables).  Just will need an AS3 version of getenv(...).

Developer
peter9477

jtegen wrote:

Just will need an AS3 version of getenv(...).

The blackberry-tablet.xml file appears to be generic, for all "entry point types" (i.e. AIR, Java, native, etc), so possibly environment variables will not be usable with AIR apps.

I can't quite think of anything they'd be useful for in this type of device, either, so long as they're packaged with the app itself.