If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
sberfield
My Device: Playbook Developer
My Carrier: none

design advice wanted

Hi all,

I am startign on an app and was merrily coding to have some state changes on MouseOver when it dawned on me that I was being an **bleep** -- a touch device has no "over" behavior (though interestingly, the simulator does support it). So... any suggetsions for alternatives to roll-over help/balloon help, etc...when designing for a touch interface?

Scott

Two apps and counting:
Video Poker: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/33870
Classic Slots: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/40279
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: design advice wanted

You have to have them press on something.  Or have a single state (button toggle) to turn on all help balloons and then press on the balloon for more info.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
macwarrior
My Device: None
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I have a separate button for help.

You could also try setting a timer and making a long-press (a second or two, instead of just a tap) open the help window. I've seen that used effectively before.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Would be nice if there was a "standard" PB way so the user does not have to learn a bunch of different methods.  Maybe one will float to the type to be the preferred method.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Other options I've thought of include have the SWIPE_START event (triggered merely by tapping anywhere in the top-swipe region of the bezel) activate some help/hint balloons, and having a "momentary" button do the same.  (Momentary means it doesn't stay selected after you lift your finger.)

In either case, you could have the help info appear in an overlay on the whole UI, for a brief time before fading out again.  For a fancier version, the user can tap any of the highlighted items for more detailed info or context-sensitive help.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
vaiomike
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

as I understand from this, there is no default way of displaying a tooltip/balloon-style information, and one has to draw such "balloon information" by oneself? any best practices for overlaying?

---

Playbook app: Fuel Dashboard

Please use plain text.
Developer
XoomMan
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: verizon

I thought about using a help button with a question mark on it. Kinda like in windows. When the user taps on the help button it will stay selected. Then when the user taps on a ui component if there is help on it a popup bubble with help will be displayed for a few seconds or until the user taps on it. Then when the user taps on the component again it will be active.

Please use plain text.