Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
shevbg
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

developing 2D/3D games for playbook

Hi all,

I am looking to make a 2D (perhaps 3D) game app for the playbook but I am trying to figure out which tool set would be most appropriate. It seems like there are a number of options, such as AIR, javascript and HTML5, the native SDK, etc. 

How are most 2D graphics games made for the playbook? For example, which API's does Angry Birds (for the playbook) or the like use? I'm trying to figure out which runs best on the playbook and has the richest API and active community support. I would prefer AIR/ActionScript 3 but I would be open to C/C++ or whatever else. 

I've looked into Starling which uses AS3 and tried to make it work with the playbook but was not successful. Is it supposed to work with the playbook?

Thanks in advance!

New Developer
rbaezam
My Device: Developer

Re: developing 2D/3D games for playbook

Hi, I'm also interested on this topic.

I too tried the Starling framework without success, I guess it's because it uses Stage3D which isn't available yet on the current air version installed on the playbook (3.1).

I have tried with Cocos2d-x with the native SDK but I couldnt make it work yet.

Maybe you could try the Flashpunk framework for adobe air.

Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook

Until there's Stage3D support in AIR (and it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing that any time soon) the native SDK will probably be your best option to build a smooth 60fps game. That being said, games like Dillo Hills are done in AIR using the GPU render mode, but that has its own set of issues. Your example, Angry Birds, was done with the native SDK.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Contributor
shevbg

Thank you for your responses! What would you say about HTML5 / JavaScript? It seems like it is possible to create 2D/3D graphics/effects as shown here...though it seems like a lot of code just to make that simple TunnelTilt game..

Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

[ Edited ]

TunnelTilt was developed using low level WebGL. If you're looking at creating a 3D game in WebGL I would recommend using a framework like Three.js. It saves you writing a lot of code.

A framework that is similar to Flash in the JavaScript world that I would recommend is Create.js. Also if you're familiar with the Greensock tweening engine they just released a JavaScript version. 

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Contributor
shevbg

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations. They all seem like they will work great and save lots of coding time. Do you think there will be any obvious barriers, for example how Starling did not work because Stage3D is not supported, etc.

Thanks!

Retired
dmalik
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook

No there should be no barriers if you go down the HTML5 path. Just take a look at who's in first and the next upcoming top tablet browsers at HTML5test.com.

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer
cycletronic
My Device: Playbook, Z10

Cocos2d-x is excellent.  Very well supported, runs great on the playbook, and really pretty easy to use.  C++, so powerful, but you can shoot yourself in the foot.  I have used a lot of game engines, and this is a good one, but perhaps not for a total beginner.  I haven't been a beginner for quite a while :smileyhappy:

----------------
WIP game: Melodaeum
My graphically bland but very useful Morse Code trainer: Speed CW
My graphically attractive but boring game: The Rainstorm