Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
smccarthy
My Device: 9370

failure 500 Application author does not match debug token author

Getting the App author doesn't match debug token author error, as seen below.

>blackberry-deploy -installApp -password xyz123-device 10.251.221.230 -package h:\html\webworks\hello\out\hello.bar
Info: Sending request: Install
Info: Action: Install
Info: File size: 3618419
Info: Installing ...
Info: Processing 3618419 bytes
actual_dname::
actual_id::
actual_version::
result::failure 500 Application author does not match debug token author.

I have been using Ripple to package and sign, and the command-line above to deploy to an actual tablet.

I have read some of the other threads on this topic, but many of them refer to files that I don't mess with, such as blackberry-tablet.xml - I assume that Ripple adds that as part of packaging.  Hopefully I don't have to manually fix up this file every time I package.

I dumped out the generated air/blackberry-tablet.xml file, and it has <publisher>Sample Inc.</publisher>, but no <author>.

What values in what files are being compared to detect author mismatch?

All very confusing.  Hard to have a clear mental map to visualize the end-to-end process.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: failure 500 Application author does not match debug token author

<publisher> and <author> are synonymous, I believe. You definitely would need to mess with the blackberry-tablet.xml file to do this, so give that a shot... it should have <author> (or <publisher>) and <authorId> fields that match what the debug token has.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
smccarthy

No luck messing with the blackberry-tablet.xml file.  Extracted it from the application .bar, added

<author>Example International</author>

and changed <publisher> to contain the same text, and repackaged into the .bar file.

Here's my META-INF/MANIFEST.MF from the debug token .bar file:

Archive-Manifest-Version: 1.2
Archive-Created-By: BlackBerry BAR Packager v1.4

Package-Author: Example International
Package-Name: debug.token
Package-Version: 0.0.0.1
Package-Type: debug-token
Package-Author-Certificate-Hash: s1daQTGbHJqCFsmpPV_q5KM-SXEjQPE9QsWDOatZ0DgzE6XKl9ihg_28W-1MI4mYjxQQ_j2pjJW1MXkhhtfi2w
Package-Author-Id: gYAAgCYlZBT_GDgZpa3_QmmhS4s
Package-Id: gYABgOXnot3QyNjuppkPxALdZJs
Package-Version-Id: gYACgJm6uq3wWoE-8MkK8dpyf6U
Package-Issue-Date: 2011-12-21T00:30:21Z

Debug-Token-System-Actions: execute,multi_window,multi_instance,run_air_native,run_native
Debug-Token-Expiry-Date: 2012-01-20T00:30:21Z
Debug-Token-Device-Id: 1343006900

Also, I just noticed that I am posting in the Adobe Air group, probably should have been in the Web Works group.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

You didn't mention that you also copied the Package-Author-Id field into the other element that I mentioned is required.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Also, so far I don't think the question is WebWorks-specific, so you could leave it here.

Otherwise, if you want to have it moved, just use "Report Inappropriate Content" to ask a moderator to move it to the WebWorks developmetn forum.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smccarthy

I missed the authorId.  Just copied the value out of the debug token MANIFEST.MF's Package-Author-Id field and pasted it (see below), but still getting the error.  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><qnx>
<initialWindow>
<systemChrome>none</systemChrome>
<transparent>true</transparent>
</initialWindow>
<author>Example International</author>
<authorId>gYAAgCYlZBT_GDgZpa3_QmmhS4s</authorId>
<publisher>Example International</publisher>
<category>core.all</category>

<!-- These environment variables hide the browser context menu -->
<env value="false" var="WEBKIT_TABS_SUPPORTED"/>
<env value="false" var="WEBKIT_CONTEXT_MENU_SUPPORTED"/>
<env value="false" var="WEBKIT_SELECTION_SUPPORTED"/>
<env value="true" var="WEBKIT_WEBGL_SUPPORTED"/>

<!-- Explicitly set the Webkit graphics buffer to reduce memory usage. Will be reduced post-rtm to 3 or 0. -->
<env value="6" var="WEBKIT_NUMBER_OF_BACKINGSTORE_TILES"/>

<icon><image>appicon.png</image></icon><splashscreen>spsh3247794574286807927.png:spsh8915600396320466698.png</splashscreen><action>access_internet</action></qnx>

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, so if you have that debug token loaded (plz check if not certain), then it "should" be working at this point.

Mine looks similar, but with only the <publisher> and <authorId> lines.  I doubt the redundancy with <publisher> and <author> is your problem though.

I think you should take your .bar file and unzip it, and inspect the MANIFEST.MF file that's being generated. Those two lines should be getting generated from the blackberry-tablet.xml file, so they should now match what the debug token's MANIFEST.MF has in it.

Stray/long-shot idea: recently the SDKs have been migrating to use bar-descriptor.xml instead of blackberry-tablet.xml.  Any chance that's been done in the latest WebWorks SDK, and that it's not actually picking up your bb-tab.xml any more?  (Inspecting the MANIFEST.MF is conclusive though... the .xml file is not actually used on the PlayBook, as far as I know, but only during packaging to populate the manifest file. What you see there is what matters.)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
smccarthy

Made some progress.  When I run a build and package from the Ripple interface, both the MANIFEST.MF and blackberry-tablet.xml have the author set as "Sample Inc."

MANIFEST.MF:
Package-Author: Sample Inc.
Package-Author-Id: testU2FtcGxlIEluYy4gICAgICA

blackberry-tablet.xml:

<publisher>Sample Inc.</publisher>

So that's definitely a mismatch with my debug token, which I registered as "Example International".

I found that if I manually update the application.bar file to make MANIFEST.MF and blackberry-tablet.xml match the debug token info, then I get a signature failure:

result::failure 500 air/blackberry-tablet.xml: SHA512 digest mismatch

So what's the best course of action?  Reregister for another debug token with a different name?  Find the place in my current installation (where??) that is packaging the author information and change it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

This would be a good point at which to request moving this to the WebWorks forum, to get people familiar with the build tools involved.

For a workaround in the short term, though I don't recommend doing a production release this way, note my earlier comment that blackberry-tablet.xml is used only during packaging, and not on the tablet itself. You can do your "manual update" procedure on MANIFEST.MF but leave the xml file alone, and you shouldn't get any signature failures. The app should work fine that way, but I'd find a cleaner fix for production.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
elena_laskavaia
My Device: PlayBook

You definetely to ask this on webworks forum, they should have solved it some-how by now. I don't think

their tool read blackberry-tablet.xml so it must be another way how you suppose to set this info

Please use plain text.