Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
T55555

install - unistall - upgrade version control

Hi,

Most application's configuration, setting,  and app's data are saved under application's folder ( not in shared folder ).

My question is what happen when user upgrade to new version ?

For example, after installed version 1.0; new version 2.0 came out, and user decide to upgrad to 2.0.

Does that means it will act like uninstall 1.0 and new install 2.0 ?

If this is true, then all saved 1.0 version configuration/setting data will be gone ?

How to preserve that configuration data when upgrade to 2.0 ?

( It is not very user-friendly to lost all saved data, setting, configuration and restart again ... )

The solution that I can think about is like:

(1) version 1.0 provides "export" feature, to copy data/setting/configuration to shared folder.

(2) version 2.0 provides auto-scan to auto-import exported data (on shared folder) from 1.0.

I would like all these done automatically without user interaction.

( Because user can make errors and forget ;-)  )

Number #2 can be done automatically via application.

But Number #1 seems impossible ( unless everytime you duplicate the saving data to shared folder, which seems to me is not a good design ).

So, do we have any "Application-is-ready-to-uninstall" event to allow application to do pre-uninstall action ?

Or do you have better idea?

Thanks.

---------------------
a) If you like my response/post, please provide a Kudo (white star to the left).
b) If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.
Playbook Applications: Chinese Calendar and Zodiac, Peg Solitaire!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

Re: install - unistall - upgrade version control

While this has not been documented by RIM/QNX, I believe it will not remove your "appstore" data during an upgrade.

Specifically, data stored in SharedObject and anything else that goes under File.applicationStorageDirectory should be preserved during an upgrade, but is definitely removed if you do an uninstall first.

This behaviour (preserving the appstore data) matches the behaviour we observe on the simulator when deploying upgrades from the command line (without first uninstalling), and what you'd see in Flash Builder when you uncheck the appropriate checkbox.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
T55555

peter9477 wrote:

While this has not been documented by RIM/QNX, I believe it will not remove your "appstore" data during an upgrade.

Specifically, data stored in SharedObject and anything else that goes under File.applicationStorageDirectory should be preserved during an upgrade, but is definitely removed if you do an uninstall first.

This behaviour (preserving the appstore data) matches the behaviour we observe on the simulator when deploying upgrades from the command line (without first uninstalling), and what you'd see in Flash Builder when you uncheck the appropriate checkbox.

Thanks Peter.

But I don't see the "Clear Application data on each launch" check box on Flash Builder 4.5 (Burrito) ...

Is it only on Flash Builder 4.1 ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
JRab

hey T5,

the clear application data is located under all the other options. if your screen is too small, it may not be visible (like mine). i really wish Burrito would put in some scrollbars. in either case, try to expand your burrito debug configurations as much as possible. here is a screen shot of where it is:

https://blogs.infosupport.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Blogs.Components.WeblogF...

hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Please use plain text.