Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Visitor
jacdx
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

lack of current AIR support will hurt BB10

Hi,

I'm a developer interested in porting my AIR apps to BB10. Blackberry would be included with the others that I'm targeting from AIR, but the problem is, I'm using the latest AIR features for performance (3.5 currently). I can say that without the ability to target the current version of AIR, including BB in my crossplatform development won't happen. It'd take too much work  (not cost effective) to port and user experience isn't as good (AIR performance gets better with each release). Allowing a captive runtime like Android does would solve this problem and remove Blackberry as the bottleneck in the process.

AIR is not a mature enough technology to let it stagnate for several versions. 3.1 is ancient. Building an app on 3.1 at this point would be a dead-end on other platforms. AIR is rapidly evolving and staying on top of it is necessary for my apps to be competetive. I can target iOS, Android, Kindle and Nook and would like to include BB but can't realistically do so.

I registered just to say this.

Please use plain text.
Developer
shawnblais
My Device: Not Specified

Re: lack of current AIR support will hurt BB10

[ Edited ]

Same here.

All our old apps are being ported over, but all future apps and games are being built on top of Stage3D, meaning BB10 support is off the table.

We will have a large suite of awesome apps and games, ready to go with the push of a button, as soon as RIM is kind enough to upgrade the AIR runtime.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

same here. As an AIR dev in my private time, I'm currently shifting over to Android (and soon enough to iOS, too), seeing the support of AIR on BlackBerry is more than lacking. If I remember correctly, AIR 3.2 (Stage3D) was promised to us in Summer 2012, but nothing happened, even until now :/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

+1.  Platform choice is the RIM sales pitch to devs.  

The sales pitch works best when it is true in spades.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

3.4/3.5 is being ported over after BB10 is released. They are now trying to catch back up after most of the effort was placed in NDK/Cascades/WebWorks.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
frankling
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Movistar

We ask in Adobe Air Labs about update runtime for BB10 SDK, they dind't response yet, we also see BB10 for a virtual big change now.

Not is good to compile in FB4.7 with AIR 3.5 and force in the command line to compile under AIR 3.1.

Please use plain text.
Developer
SangramPatil
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

Definately new AIR versions will improve the performance and also add new features. Looking forward for AIR 3.5 support.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

This has been discussed many times in other threads. RIM has said that it is on their road map to bring AIR 3.4/3.5 to the platform. It will probably be late spring before we see it. I will see what can be found out at JAM Europe next week.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
frankling
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Movistar

Hi, John, please share with us any new news, and if they have a date to involve the runtimes. If they will upgrade why not jump direct around 4.6?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

4.6? 4.6/4.7 is a Flash Builder version
3.4/3.5 is an AIR version.
Which are you talking about?
Please use plain text.