Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Regular Contributor
JimmyO
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

multi-touch capabilities

The simulator allows for simulating single-touch capabilities.  Two questions:

1. Is there a way to test multi-touch capabilities on the simulator?

2. Is there a way to turn off multi-touch capability in my app since I have not yet been able to test what happens if two or more simultaneous "touches" occur.

Thanks for anyone who has some ideas on these items.

...Jim

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: multi-touch capabilities

Hey JimmyO,

1. Currently the simulator does not support testing of Multitouch Gestures.
  2. Your application will not respond to multitouch gestures unless you make it aware and listen for those specific gestures. Your application will only do what you ask it to do (for the most part).

Hope that clears a few things up. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
XoomMan
My Device: PlayBook

In one of the webcasts there was talk about being able test multi-touch in the sim but RIM wasn't sure how to do it. With only 2 weeks before the latest launch date we probably won't be able test it like alot of other things. Maybe we can with a real playbook. Who knows.

Developer
JRab

Yes they said it was a possibility in a future release but they were still working on it -- so either they will stick with the device itself or they will give us a new sim.
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Developer
XoomMan

[ Edited ]

Hey JRab do you know if we will be able to put a real playbook in development mode for testing?

Developer
JRab

Hey,

Yes you will be able to put the actual device into dev mode as far as I know :smileyhappy:
J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--

Developer
Brandon_Appetizer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

I believe the plan is to have the real playbook work exactly like the simulator. Namely, you put it into development mode and it starts a web server which listens for app install requests.
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer
XoomMan

Thanks for the info.

Regular Contributor
JimmyO
My Device: Not Specified

JRab -

Thank you for the response.  A little more background to my second question regarding how my app might or might not work properly when on a real PlayBook:

- the app has a 'playlist' that allows items in the playlist to be (i) moved around (by touching and moving your finger around) on a particular item in the playlist, (ii) deleted (by touching an X box at the top right of each item in the playlist), and (iii) selected to be played by touching and lifting (ie "clicking").  My issue / question is that I am not quite sure what happens if one finger is being used to 'move' an item (ie touching an item, holding that finger on the item and moving it around), while another finger clicks on the delete X on another item in the playlist.  I 'think' I know what will happen and that it will work, but I have not had a good way of testing it .. hence the question.

So in a sense, although my app is not specifically looking to respond to a multitouch gesture, it is possible that a user might try to do separate things at once that I hadn't anticipated and somehow the app won't work properly.

I guess I could turn off all other touching event listeners when a finger touch happens, and then turn them all back on again when the person lifts the finger off -- it's just not something you had to do when all a user could do was click in one spot at a time.

Jim

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

JRab and I actually discussed just this point, way back (Jan?  Dec?).  I could try to find the thread if it mattered much.

Our conclusion, as I recall was that there were two main options.  Either the first touch point is treated as a mouse (MOUSE_DOWN, MOVE, etc), and any secondary or later (simultaneous) touch points would be ignored, or a secondary touch would effectively trigger the first to get fake MOUSE_UP and then the new touch would get a MOUSE_DOWN, becoming the new mouse position.

The latter possibility was rejected as basically insane, so we figured it's the first.

That would mean that once you touch, and keep your finger down, no other touches are recognized until you release the first finger.

It seems likely that this would be basically like a special case of what would happen with touch input, where only four touch points are supported and you try to touch a fifth point at the same time.  It wouldn't make sense for the fifth point to be recognized... doing so would imply that even a mere stray "brush" of a finger would screw up recognition of the real touches.

We could have guessed totally wrong, however, and maybe there's a third or fourth possibility we hadn't considered.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!