Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
jeevan628
My Device: Playbook

navigator service failed

Hi,

I keep getting this message too often when I try to debug on the actual device. 

Deployment Failed: Sending Install request...

Info: Action: Install

Info: File size: 9644585

Info: Installing ...

Info: Processing 9644585 bytes

actual_dname::

actual_id::

actual_version::

result::failure 500 /pps/system/navigator/control: navigator service failed

It is really annoying and googling tells me to just restart. Its is okay for once but this is the about the 8th or 9th time I have to restart within the last 30 minutes. Any clue?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: navigator service failed

Have you confirmed that when this happens, it's because the Navigator process has died? Navigator is basically the "home page" screen, other than the system tray at the top. It's what shows you the thumbnails of running apps, and the icons below which let you launch apps. Does it still respond when this has happened?

If it's dead, you should try to figure out what's killing/freezing it. This is pretty unusual, so maybe your app is triggering some condition that can kill it. If so, it would be very valuable to reproduce and report it so RIM can fix it in later releases.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jeevan628

Yes it is working. I can open other running apps and it does respond. I am not sure what I am using that can cause this. 

The thing is, couple of weeks ago, this happened like 10 times within two hour window. Then it went away. Now it has come again. I am not using much in my app except camera, some gestures, gps and a lot of api calls. I do have a bunch of timers running. About 6 different timers at the moment but will grow probably.

On a side note, sometimes when I deploy to debug, it says user authentication failed, or the password is wrong or something similar. I just deploy again without changing anything it works. 

Not sure how to recreate this. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Is this via USB or WiFi? I don't know quite how that would affect anything, but I've found WiFi much less reliable for deploying and debugging than USB, not to mention slower. The latest couple of releases improved things, but USB is still better especially with the 1.0.7 update that means the IP doesn't keep changing each time you connect.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jeevan628

I am using USB and yes, the latest update keeps the ip from not changing (yay). 

I have no clue whats causing. Since I created this post, I had to restart 4 times. 

Here's how it works:

I start the device.

Debug. Works

Debug: I get error saying user authentication failed. Usually 2-3 attempts. Then I get the navigator failed error.

Restart.

Same thing again.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I thought they'd fixed the issue with date/time being too different between PB and PC, but any chance yours is way off, and right at the edge of whatever limit they've allowed for the difference? That might explain frequent but intermittent rejection of the authentication attempt. (Long shot, I know. Sounds like you need one.)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jeevan628

The time difference is less than 1 second. But I did change my time format on pc to US to install the debug token. I'm from Canada. But it worked before without any problems. 

I'm suprised except you, no one has any clue on whats going on.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hishamBakr
My Device: Z10 Limited Edition

I face the same issue :smileysad:

I am using USB

I didnt face this issue with beta 3  but it appeared now with beta 4 :smileysad:

When you are young, work to learn. Not to earn !
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Is this happening because your app hasn't terminated properly? There are other threads about that. Check if the icon for the app is still grayed-out, and that will probably tell you that's all it is.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
hishamBakr
My Device: Z10 Limited Edition

Someone adviced me to wipe data

now I lost every thing :smileysad:

devices restarted then displayed a blackscreen with the word "Blackberry"  :smileysad:

I will try to connect it to PC and re update software.

dont follow any advise untill you see if others followed it and succeeded or not

When you are young, work to learn. Not to earn !
Please use plain text.