Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

"Built for BlackBerry Apps" without AIR?

[ Edited ]

The tools are listed but without AIR : https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/getting_started.html

so is AIR excluded?

Please use plain text.
Developer
d3v3l0p3r
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier

Re: "Built for BlackBerry Apps" without AIR?

I just noticed that myself. I suppose they are giving us a hint to migrate our apps to Cascades...

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22

[ Edited ]

It seems that AIR and Android are definitly excluded. I spent the last 3 months to figure out the BB10 AIR SDK and made two apps which are running smooth on the Dev Alpha - well its like a punch into the stomach.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
spoutnik
My Device: DevAlpha, PlayBook
My Carrier: BaseDE, BouyguesFR

I spent a lot of time building dedicated apps for BlackBerry using Air and QNX. I feel that it is completely unfair. The quality review should be based on how good the app performs on BlackBerry, the useability and the content. This should be agnostic to the tools you used to build it. 

It is pure discrimination. Why did they not tell us in the beginning that they do not want us to work with Air? Why release an SDK and then not support people who use it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
lrrm
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

[ Edited ]

well, as the cooperation of RIM and Adobe wasn't the best and RIM has constant problems (besides the missing manpower) to keep the AIR runtime up to date it was obvious that this would happen. 

RIM is throwing away a lot of potential here. 

I was  thinking about if RIM could really be so stupid especially because Flash and the gaming market are converging. They named the Playbook not for nothing Playbook.

I assume that RIM will allow the installation of prebuild AIR apps with the latest runtimes in BB10. They will play the ball back to adobe to keep the option open to export your apps to BB10.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Please use plain text.
Contributor
spoutnik
My Device: DevAlpha, PlayBook
My Carrier: BaseDE, BouyguesFR

sunsetting Air support is one thing .. but for the quality assessment I do not see why the plattform should matter ? Even Apple accepts Air apps as long as they are conform to their guidelines.

I wonder if the idea behind the whole thing is not to reduce the number of apps who are eligible to receive the 10k. As you say games are often written in Flash and small games probably fall right into the category that would receive the money. Personally I do not care about it. But I find it a cheap trick to work around what they promised.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
georg22

Early this year i was not sure if i should continue developing with AIR. But then i saw that the BB10 SDK offers all the BB10 controls for a native look and feel. I finished one app right now which follows the UI-guidlines and uses the BB10 controls. It runs very smooth on the DevAlpha. It really looks like a Cascades app. And i think everybody would say its a "quality" app. I REALLY REALLY WANTED THE QUALITY CERTIFICATE!

Please can someone tell me what to do now? Rebuild it with Cascades or HTML5? I am not very familiar with both, so i will miss the january timeline for sure. I wasted my time. A lot of time.

I stopped the work on my current app now. Dont know what to do. I dont like C++, so Cascades is not made for me. QML with QT Creator would be great, but there are no BB10 controls. HTML5? Or leaving RIM? I am tired.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, RIM is ignoring a huge marketing opportunity: Flex enterprise apps. Flex, either running in a browser or on AIR, is used extensively in many large organizations, and there are zillions of lines of code. The PlayBook is the best device for developing and running them, with a dev experience far superior to IOS or Android. BB10 looks like it will be pretty good too. If you want to position PB and BB10 as business devices, promote Flex!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
jetstreamblue
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus

This is a huge blow to me.  I don't have the time now to re-code my apps in Cascades.  To say I'm upset is an understatement.

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

There is no need to re-code apps if you don't want to. I really don't think that AIR is going to go away or not be supported on upcoming BlackBerry devices. (I just don't think that it is going to be updated or worked on that much either).

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.