Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: "Built for BlackBerry Apps" without AIR?

No, AIR is not going away BUT you will never be able to get your app certificated. So you will have drawbacks in marketing. And no customer will ask you to make an AIR app. The interest in AIR will decrease faster and without Stage3d and the cool stuff, AIR on Blackberry will fall more and more behind. That not a technology for future projects anymore.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

georg22 wrote:

That not a technology for future projects anymore.

I'm not so sure. The roadmap shows Flash Builder 4.7 in planning. RIM would be foolish to ignore such a loyal, productive and relatively experienced developer community that has shown its ability to push the boundaries again and again. And while the whole HTML5 vs Flash debate has had way more attention than it should, I see no technical reason why AIR apps on BB10 shouldn't function just as effective as HTML5. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and the developer should choose wisely based on requirements. Believe me, I know both stacks more intimately than I would like. Any decision to favor one over the other is political, not technical.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

My Jaw dropped when I read that too. I guess after BB10 is out, it is time to just focus on iOS and Android.
Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

yesterday I got a call from a customer review guy asking me what I would improve on BB10 and that stuff. I told him that I really would like to see AIR 3.4.

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer

I have asked RIM to justify and reconsider their position on this. Will let you know if I hear something. It has been assured that this has nothing to do with the continued support of AIR.
Developer
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier

The future of AIR is up in the air...

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't read too much into this guys, logically it just doesn't make sense.

We all know that BB10 is basically a rebranded Playbook OS, all your existing and ceritfified apps work on there, they will work on BB10, so why would RIM throw all of that away?

They already have to scutle their entire collection of Java based AppWorld applications, so why would they throw away all the Playbook Apps as well when they work just fine!? Especially when they've stated that Playbook will be getting BB10...

I mean, if AIR is not supported on BB10, then that means as soon as users upgrade their playbook they'd lose all their old apps, app list, and ability to receive updates. I really don't see that happening...

Developer

Also, they state that they will even consider PhoneGap apps to be certified, so why wouldn't they consider AIR as well.

"Additional Frameworks such as PhoneGap and Appcelerator will be considered as long as they meetBlackBerry 10 UI guidelines and other Built for BlackBerry criteria."

https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/criteria.html

Developer

It is not that AIR wont be supported (it will), it is about the ability to have an app "BB certified". This is more for marketing, but I can imagine that apps can only be featured if they are "certified", or only can be in the top-25 if they are "certified". They have not said this, but it only makes sense to promote the quality, "certified" apps during promotional activities. It has down the road consequences.
Developer

Right ok,  but if you look at the quote I posted, it sounds like UI Guidelines are the only real requirement. Not technology platform. Which passes a logical sniff test much better...