Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
bbpb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

"Error: unknown protocol: c" on command line install+launch, after "Error Launch Error" on FB4 install+launch

Just trying to get AIRHelloWorld.as installed and launched on the simulator, and I've run into some problems.

Using FB4 (v4.0.1), I get the following when following the instructions given at http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/21877/Testing_your_application_from_FB4_134713...

for "Run"-type configs, it pretends to install and launch, but does nothing.

for "Debug"-type launches, after sitting at "Waiting for Adobe Flash Player to connect to debugger" for some time:

"Launch failed"

"Failed to connect; session timed out.

Ensure that:

1. You compiled your Flash application with debugging on

2. You are running the debugger version of Flash Player."

Taking the advice of the thread here - http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Launch-Failed-Launching-Error/m-p... - I switched to trying the command line with the following command:

>blackberry-airpackager -package AIRHelloWorld.bar -installApp -launchApp -C bin-debug AIRHelloWorld-app.xml AIRHelloWorld.swf -device 192.168.152.128

To which I get:

"Error: unknown protocol: c"

Any and all help is appreciated.

Contributor
bbpb

Re: "Error: unknown protocol: c" on command line install+launch, after "Error Launch Error" on FB4 install+launch

Additional information: this happens after a restart, and regardless of if the simulator is running, or if I supply invalid or loopback IP addresses to the '-device' parameter. Or if I simply omit the '-device' parameter.

In fact, I can scrape the command down to

>blackberry-airpackager -package AIRHelloWorld.bar -C bin-debug AIRHelloWorld-app.xml
Error: unknown protocol: c

Googling for "unknown protocol: c" gets me listings for MalformedURLExceptions for the... inability to read XML files if there's a space in the path. A moment please...

*moves project to c:\AIRHelloWorld from C:\Documents and Settings\...etcetc*

*packages*

*facepalm* ...sonuva...

Contributor
bbpb

Re: "Error: unknown protocol: c" on command line install+launch, after "Error Launch Error" on FB4 install+launch

Alrighty, for those who wish to learn from my mistake, don't use the default path for your workspace in Windows XP. Put your project files in a path that has no spaces in it. Otherwise the code that reads the app descriptor XML will throw and give you that completely helpful</sarcasm> message about the 'unknown protocol'.

For more information...

According to SUN  ( http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=6506304 ) this is a regression from jdk1.5, so it may be related to the version of Java that was used to create blackberry-airpackager. My recommendation to any BBPB dev watching this board is to use a different (earlier? Since jdk6 won't necessarily be released nicely due to Oracle) jdk for the toolset... y'know, if you want to support default Windows XP installs, and you have the time. The workaround's pretty easy once you know it.

Alrighty, now off to see if things work!

Developer
JRab
My Device: Bold 9700

ouch thats a nasty bug... but glad you caught it - alone haha... guess no one really had any insight. i usually keep my folders without any spaces where ever possible... a lot of programs dont like it and i dont feel like putting in those quotations and blackslashes for every path name that has a space in it... too much trouble for just having a few spaces. good work!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Contributor
guruprathapy

Hi,

Thanks for the help, I was also facing same problem before,

after removing spaces from the folder name, it is not giving that "Error: unknown protocol: c"

But I am facing with a new error "Error: unknown protocol: -"

Any help???

Thanks

Contributor
bbpb

My guess is that it doesn't much like hyphens either. Try something short and with only alpha characters like c:\workspaces\project\ and see if that helps.

New Contributor
guruprathapy

My project folder is like "C:\Sample"

No special characters...

Developer
studiochris
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™

[ Edited ]

(unrelated to the metioned Java bug) You can use spaces in paths, just be sure to enclose paths with spaces in double quotes in your command.

"C:\this\path is\completely ok\for\the commandline"

New Contributor
alexxspb

Re: "Error: unknown protocol: c" on command line install+launch

I tried the latest version of JDK 1.6, and almost all of version 1.5 for Windows 7, also tried to connect JAXP 1.4.4., Which was discussed in the issue tracker about this problem and to reduce all the ways of working programs on the disk to the root directory. But nothing helped, so Day 2 can not even run on the emulator program Hello World ... Very sad. Is a must to put Windows XP, or even it does not guarantee the right thing to run?

Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

Re: "Error: unknown protocol: c" on command line install+launch

Maybe try FB Burrito instead of FB 4? I never encountered this and I installed it all to the default paths (C:\Program Files\Adobe\FlashBuilder 4 Burrito  (or something close to that)). I am using WinXP as well.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids