Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
EraserX
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

"Unable to connect to debugger" on Physical Device

Hi Everyone,

I am having a problem that I am getting a "Unable to connect to debugger" on the physical device and it requests the ip of my computer. 

• I am using FB 4.01 with 1.0.1 SDK
  • This error does not happen when running in the simulator
  • I have verified that both my simulator and my physical device configurations both have selected "Use default debug host IP" and that the default host IP does in fact match my computer's IP address
  • Running (as opposed to debugging) does work on the physical device
  • My only "compiler arguments" are "-locale en_US"

Does anyone have any ideas? 

Thanks,

~Nick.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: "Unable to connect to debugger" on Physical Device

Sounds like a routing or firewall issue. Do you have another machine on your network on which you can run "telnet"?

If so, try "telnet YOURHOSTIP 7935" and see if it gets a connection to the debugger. (Depending on your knowledge level, that may or may not be a description sufficient to let you work out the answer. Please ask if it's not.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
EraserX

Hi Peter, I am pretty computer savvy but my networking knowledge is limited. IsnTelnet a program that I need to download? If I recall correctly it is some kind of command line like tool is it?
Developer
peter9477

EraserX, telnet would/should be available by default on OSX (guessing), with "apt-get install telnet" or similar on Linux, and I believe is installed by default on Windows 7 and Vista but may have to be added in the Control Panel on XP.

It lets you establish a fairly basic socket connection to a TCP server, and interact by typing text and seeing the response.  There are other ways to do that, but telnet's about the most accessible and simplest in many cases.  If you try to connect and it timeouts or says Connect failed, you have basically duplicated what the debugger is facing and know that the issue is with your host machine, probably the firewall.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
EraserX

Alright, so I am in windows 7 and what I did was enable telnet on both omputers. Then I try to debug on the playbook. While it waited to connect to the debugger I ran "telnet 192.168.3.199 7935" (that is my flashbuilder computer's IP). It returned that it could not connect to the host, connection failed.

I only have the normal windows firewall on my computer. I do use that "Homegroup" feature to connect my computers.
Developer
peter9477

Okay, so that pretty much isolates the problem.

The first basic step to pinpointing the firewall as an issue is simply to disable it, test, then re-enable right away. Then figure out how to open up the desired port properly. If you're on a "safe" network you don't necessarily have to be so quick about it, but it's pretty easy to forget and leave a firewall open for a while, so just keep that in mind. :smileyhappy:

Developer
EraserX

Thanks Peter. It was the firewall. Disabling it allowed it to work. I then turned UT back on and allowed Flashbuilder to the list of programs that can pass through the firewall and it works!

Thanks man!